Choosing The Correct Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Mac... nificent, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

I'm considering buying the new Apple TV.

It comes in two flavors, 32GB and 64GB.

Here's my question; what will this storage be used for? Just gaming, recording your favorite TV shows, or something else?

2. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

Apps, for the most part. Assume that the tvOS itself plus buffer space uses close to 8GB (the current ATV storage size), likely a bit less. Apps must be 200 MB or less, but that's just for initial download; they can download additional data after that, so don't think you can get 5 big apps per GB.

No indication of being able to record anything.

In my case, I'm getting the 32 GB model - I have 2 or 3 sets that eventually need it, and if I decide I need the 64 GB on the main (family room) unit, i can always move the lower capacity one to a less demanding location like the bedroom.

3. WowAppleWow macrumors member

WowAppleWow

$50 for the larger version is a no-brainer!

4. john16420 macrumors newbie

I was thinking the 32g or 64g is so you can download some of your movies off itunes and watch it without streaming it? Similar to an ipod/iPad. . Or is that 32g/64g meant just for apps and such?

5. Butchie-T macrumors regular

I'm going with the 64Gb, not gonna get the 32Gb and then later on wish I had opted for the larger one. The bump in price from 32 to 64 is a small price to pay verses regretting that I did not do it later on down the road.

6. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

It's still $50, and I've got at least one TV where I'm not going to need a lot of apps. I'd rather put that $50 to better use.

7. WowAppleWow macrumors member

WowAppleWow

I understand. The one we put in the family room will be the larger size, I think my kids will want to down load games. Ill probably go with the smaller one in my theater room.