Choosing the right configuration for the new MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ebrehe, May 14, 2010.

1. Ebrehe macrumors newbie

Hi,

Finally, I'm too tired of slowing down of Windows OS systems and constantly exposing to USB viruses. So I've decided to buy new unleashed Macbook Pro series.

I'm a research engineer. My job often requires dense calculations with MATLAB. And I also use Simulink environment frequently, to make simulations. So basically, I need high calculation capacity. Also office stuff for writing reports about that calculations and preparing presentations. Other than this, I may occasionally watch movies, that's all.

Before listing my "possible" configurations I want to ask another thing. In my country Apple products are very expensive and tomorrow a friend of mine traveling to States so he'll buy to me. But I don't know the process here. Whether he should go to BestBuy or Apple store? Then if he give the configuration I choose, then when will it be ready? He will stay only a couple of days and if it takes more than this, it means I'm stuck with the pre-configured 2199$ machine.

Anyway, my max. limit is 2500$'ish :). So I really want to take your opinions about whether I spend this approximately 300$ on upgrading screen or RAM or HDD.

Config 1(Pre-configured Device)
    # 2.66GHz Intel Core i7
    # NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512MB
    # 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    # 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    # 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
    2199$

Config 2
    # 2.66GHz Intel Core i7
    # 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    # 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    # 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
    2599$

Config 3
    # 2.66GHz Intel Core i7
    # 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    # 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    # 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display
    2399$

I know it's already a very long post, but it's an expensive gadget so I really want to cover all aspects. Here is my final questions :).

• Any other suggestions than above config?
    • How is Mac OS with MATLAB? Any experience will be very appreciated
    • What about freezing issues talked over Macbook Pro forum :S
    • I can buy RAM and HDD from my country too (of course when I've enough money) so should I only upgrade the display?
    • Since I use the laptop extensive hours, it's important that it shouldn't disturb my eyes too much. Upgrading to HR displays will any effect for eyes? Maybe much better?
    • Are all of the above is bulls*t since these configurations take more than a week and I'm stuck with normal configuration :p

2. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I just bought Config#1 yesterday. Decided to go for the top of the line. I did not get the matte hi res. I looked at it hard and decided the normal resolution was fine for me. This machine is fast. My only concern now is I had it on my lap last night on some flash sites and it got a bit warm on my lap. Like warmer than my 13" ever got.

3. racketeer71 macrumors regular

I don't think you'll be able to get a customized machine in a few days. I just ordered one (I live in Europe) and it is being built in China (7200 drive + Hi-Res display). Don't know if the procedure is different in the US.

Remember that your friend will have to pay VAT and custom taxes, when he arrives in your home country - except if he's able to smuggle the laptop through customs, which is illegal.

That being said, I would suggest a hi-res glossy for your usage. Since you're not a photographer/designer, the anti-glare is not a requirement and the glossy will make movie watching more nice.

Both RAM and disk can be upgraded as necessary in the future, so the primary stuff to pay attention to is the stuff you cannot upgrade later (the CPU+display). I would not like a computer without the "Hi-Res" version and of course you should get the i7 version.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Buy the option 1 with hi res screen. You can upgrade RAM and HD later on for a lot cheaper price

5. Ebrehe thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Specific config. was not an option for that short notice so I got the standard one. Everything looks cool now :)

Thanks for answers!