Choosing the right refurb? HELP!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cc6452, Apr 10, 2009.

1. cc6452 macrumors newbie

Okay, I've decided on buying a refurb iMac. i won't be using the thing for any super-intensive work. I am considering a 20", but wonder if I will be sorry I didn't go for a 24" in the long run. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

The next issue is whether I should go with one with the 800mhz front side bus or one with the 1066mhz front side bus. I know that the latter is technically faster than the other, but is the performance difference so important that I need to base my decision on it? The lower mhz systems usually come with bigger hard drives, but I'm not sure I care all the much.

I've decided that I will not buy a processor slower than a 2.4 just to give myself a minimum life expectancy cushion. I would prefer 2.8 or more, but that is going to add a couple hundred dollars to the bottom line.

The graphics card issue worries me some, I don't think I want the ATI 2400, but I think the 2600 would be okay. The 8800 would be even better. Since most of the refurbs have 2600's, is that enough? Especially given that Snow Leopard is coming soon. I could just wait for the 9400 based refurbs to start showing up in the store, but that could be a couple of months. I'm not particularly in a hurry.

Memory is not an issue, I can upgrade that myself.

Just to further confuse the situation how about a new mini vs. a refurb iMac? I don't want an old one (even discounted). I have a 19" flat screen monitor lying around somewhere that I could hook it up do.

Can you help me with your opinions? I've got a early 2008 Black MacBook 2.4 as my primary computer now (I'm a law student and like that it is smaller than the late 2007 2.4 15" MBP my wife has). Thanks in advance.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Read up some benchmarks.

One site is barefeats.com

Do you need to do 3d gaming?