Choosing the right warranty from eBay - codes, codes, codes!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sherman90, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Sherman90 macrumors newbie

Own a 17" Macbook Pro from April 2010.

I live in Canada.

The Apple website calls the latest warranty for 15" and 17" models MD013LL/A.

Most of the extended warranties on eBay are called MD012LL/A.

This is the cheapest one I've found, and the one I want to buy: http://cgi.ebay.com/AppleCare-Prote...ting_Software_Software_SR&hash=item4cf84681ac

What gives? Will they all work? Can I go for the cheapest one?

Thanks, folks.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

No. The safest way to buy Applecare is from Apple. The next best thing to do is insist on an unopened box. Anybody selling "just a code" can be selling it to multiple people and you don't find out until later the code they emailed you isn't worth anything.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

4. Sherman90 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't understand. There are tons of threads on this board of people who have purchased Applecare from eBay with positive results - including registration, repair, etc. Has something changed?

Also, most of these auctions include the shipment of sealed Applecare boxes.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

There were a ton of Power Sellers on ebay selling only codes that were generated by someone other than Apple - they would not ship you a box. The codes would register fine, buyers would leave positive feedback, and all would be fine until a few months later when someone buying a legit AppleCare box containing the same code they got from eBay. In that situation, AppleCare invalidates the first persons warranty since they have no box to prove their code is legit.

If you can get an unopened box, you're probably safe. Prices for those are a lot more than the price of the scammed ones.

6. 7thMac macrumors 6502

The other threads that you read were quite clear that people had issues.

7. akeemD macrumors newbie

Well that's not true. Obviously there are those who're out to scam people, but I've bought AppleCare from eBay with no problems in the past.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

If all you have is the code (no box), your AppleCare can be invalidated any time during the three years that it's active.

IIRC, it hasn't been three years since the fraudulent eBay sellers last sold hacked codes, so there are very likely still people out there fine today, but subject to getting invalidated.

9. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

This. It's just not worth the risk on eBay, regardless of what the seller's ranking is.

Are you a student? You can get a discount on AC if you are.

10. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Apple has really been cracking down on Applecare not bought from authorized resellers. I wouldn't go for it as it will be money wasted.

11. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

B&H is one of the most reputable companies around.

OP - have you considered Squaretrade? It's also 3 yrs and around the same price (I paid $265 after 25% code). They have accidental coverage too, so if you drop it or spill a drink on it, it's covered. It's also an extremely well rated company. You have to buy it within 90 days after purchasing the laptop though.

12. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

OP, your computer was bought April 2010? Apple's warranty is 12 months. I thought you had to buy Apple Care during the first 12 months time... Not 3 months after the warranty expired...

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

<face palm> for not noticing that in the OP. lol

OP, if you buy AppleCare for a machine that's outside of its included 12-month hardware warranty, you won't be able to register it. :(

14. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

So how does Applecare works ? It says 3 years of Applecare, If I buy my warranty at the end of 11th month do I get 3 years from the date I register my applecare i.e. 12th month onwards for 3 more years or it is considered to be from the date of product purchase ? IF it is based on product purchase date then what is point with regards to late buying ?

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

It's three years from the purchase date of the Mac.

From reading others' posts about it, some folks buy it later to get additional time to save up money, others wait to see if they're even going to keep the machine for a year, others "try to get a feel" for if they think their machine even needs it by waiting til the end of the year...

But you're right, there's no additional value in coverage (that I can see) by waiting.

16. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Also, phone support is only 90 days with a new Mac so buying within the first 3 months has the added benefit of an extra 9 months of phone support (over waiting until the last minute).