Choosing which computer Time Capsule backs up

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by djsound, Mar 8, 2013.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

I have an imac which Time Capsule backs up regularly. I just bought a new retina macbook pro and no longer will even be using the imac. How Can I tell the time capsule to switch to now backup the MBP instead?

thanks

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

The Time Capsule does not choose which computer to backup. Instead, each computer chooses which Time Capsule to use for backup.

Go into System Preferences > Time Machine on your iMac... and turn off backups

Go into System Preferences > Time Machine on your MBP... , then "select Disk" and choose the TC... and then turn on backups.

You can also go into the TC and delete the backup for your iMac if you need the space.

Finally... if you are migrating your data from your iMac to you MBP... you can use the TC data to perform the migration... and you can also have the MBP take over the backup data.

/Jim

3. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Thanks Jim. How would I go about deleting the data from the iMac so that my MBP data will fit on the TC?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If there is no other data you want to keep on the TC, just erase the disk from the screen below in Airport Utility.

[​IMG]