Choppiness after burn in iDVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by techie4life, Mar 20, 2008.

1. techie4life macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I have been working on a movie with my Dad. We just finished it up, and I have been trying to burn it to a DVD successfully for awhile now. I have tried all of the different settings in iDVD, but none of them seem to resolve the problem. I am currently burning a "Professional Quality" version, but I don't have high hopes. I was wondering how I might resolve this problem. The actual video file plays just fine...

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

Is it choppy in a real dvd player?

3. techie4life thread starter macrumors 6502

4. HDhead macrumors newbie

It could be something indirectly related to MPEG-2 transcoding from whatever source you're coming from.

For example, if you're unintentionally converting the frame rate you could get an artifact like that. The U.S. frame rate is 29.97fps. Check the frame rate of your source material.

5. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Am I right in thinking you're using iMovie? If so, try the tutorial here:
    http://www.keywebx.com/tutorials/2005_09_08_0001/index.html
    Check the frame rates as HDhead suggests, but the above tutorial explains how to get to the QT reference file inside the iMovie 'package'. You can ignore the bit about chapter markers if it doesn't apply to you, and also ignore the fact that it's aimed at making slideshows. I got an incredible improvement in quality with a short movie clip I recently put together.

6. techie4life thread starter macrumors 6502

I made the movie in Final Cut Express, and am trying to burn it in iDVD.

7. techie4life thread starter macrumors 6502

I have been exporting and burning all different kinds of files and settings all day, but with the same end result. Does anyone know what the best settings are for exporting video from a widescreen DV camcorder? Would Toast make any difference?

8. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

This depends a lot on what version of iDVD you're using (as far as where the setting is located.) However, if I'm hearing you right, when you play the movie in iDVD, it plays fine, not choppy. But when you burn it to DVD, the DVD is choppy.

This is usually because of the encoding method used for the project. This is under iDVD preferences, the Projects tab, the drop-down menu for Encoding. Choose Best Performance.

Another problem can be if the project is large enough that it has trouble fitting on the disc - in these cases the quality is reduced to get it to fit.

Toast will work too, but iDVD should work just fine.

9. techie4life thread starter macrumors 6502

I have tried all of the different settings in iDVD as well. Best Performance, High Quality, and Professional Quality all produce the same result. The movie is only an hour long, so I don't think it's having problems fitting on the disk.