Chopping audio & video in iMovie 08

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by thouts, Nov 13, 2009.

1. thouts macrumors regular

thouts

So I've got a problem. I filmed this person in an interview setting, I also filmed shots from around this person's sign shop (people making signs, etc.) I want to cut from him to people doing work in the shop, but leave his voice going in the background without seeing him in the frame. Can you separate audio and video like this in iMovie? I know I have done it in Final Cut Pro - not sure how to do it in iMovie though.

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

The only way I know how to do this is crazy complicated.
    Well, there may be a more proper way of doing this, but what I have done before:

Make a new project, and add in the clip that has the audio you want to use. Edit it down to the duration you want ( focusing on the audio... ignore the video for now ), then export using Share-> Export using quicktime. Export it with "Sound to AIFF file", and select 48KHz for your frequency etc.
    Save that file to your desktop. Then drag that file into your itunes library.

Now got back to imovie and bring up the base clip you want to edit and bring more clips into. Now go to the Music and Sound effects window... open up the "itunes" container and then "music" and then find the file you exported. Drag that to your timeline.

Then with the video selected ( but not the audio clip ) left click and click on the little speaker icon at the beginning of the clip. This will bring up the "audio adjustments" window. Select the volume slider and slide it down to zero.
    Now drag your separated audio clip to the beginning ( or wherever you want it in the project ). Now you will be able to drag in all the different clips you want ( making sure you take their volume down to zero also, unless you want the audio to mix ( which might be desirable for some clips )

tada! :)

MUCH easier to do it in Final Cut ( and iMovie HD, actually ) but it can be done!