Choppy animation

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by helix21, Jan 16, 2010.

1. helix21 macrumors regular

Hey guys,
    Facing a slight niggle - the animations (the zooming when opening and closing of apps) have become increasingly choppy on my iPhone 3GS.

I have about 12GB/16 filled and almost use 8 pages of apps. Its jailbroken, has winterboard but I dont use it and run it on the normal theme, normal config and never really performed any advanced hacking. I jailbroke using blackrain if that is relevant because it was easy as pie.

Is this just overload from the sheer number of apps or something more? I will start slowly culling the apps but its odd that even the 3GS which can handle supreme graphics such as those in NOVA cant handle a simple zoom one.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

3. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

No, it doesn't I have this issue sometimes as well, and it also existed before I was Jailbroken.

4. NathanA macrumors 6502a

It is definitely possible that it is something that you installed through Cydia after jailbreaking. Winterboard would be my primary suspect, even if you are not applying any themes, but probably the best sure-fire way to diagnose would be to install SBSettings (if you haven't already), and then use it to disable all of your Mobile Substrate add-ons. If your phone feels snappy again after that, then enable the add-ons one-by-one until the slowdown occurs again (though it's also possible that it is cumulative, I suppose, and cannot be blamed on one particular extension or other).

-- Nathan

5. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Yeah, you jailbroke your phone.

The phone hardware doesn't degrade over time and slow down. It's the crap you've installed.

6. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

Brilliant. I didnt install SBS settings, never knew it could do that. Winterboard seemed to be the problem - so so much smoother now and feels better.

Jailbreaking itself shouldnt have any impact on the performance on the phone - its the addons. Though this means I have lost my brilliant lockscreen but I can live with that

7. trajen macrumors 6502a

I loved QuickReply for SMS but Mobile Substrate (and it seems as though jailbreaking in general) slow the iPhone down enough to become irritating. I did a clean restore with a friend's AT&T sim and then only unlocked via Blackra1n and my 3G has never been better!