Choppy Animations on powerful machine?? How come?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chrisi29, Nov 14, 2008.

1. chrisi29 macrumors member

Hey everybody!

I just got my brandnew MacBook Pro yesterday and I love it! It's a great machine!

But I noticed something that annoys me... How come all (most of the) animations in Leopard aren't smooth? For example the animation that plays during minimization... the first few times after boot-up are O.K but after a few minutes they just get choppy! And I didn't do anything intensive... That's quite dissappointing when a powerful machine like that can't give you smooth animations...

Any solutions maybe?

Thanks!

2. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

That's pretty normal. Happens to me too although I'm using a Macbook

It's even more visible on Spaces and Expose

3. priller macrumors regular

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Mine doesn't do that either and I have the 2006 Macbook Pro.

5. kolax macrumors G3

Leopard is notorious for slightly choppy animations. They were pretty bad when Leopard first came out.

It is normal. It isn't the power of the computer, more just the optimisation of Core Animation and the graphic drivers.

We'll get there eventually - but I'd take stability over smooth eye candy any day.

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Have both- run Tiger. Is this really still the case in leopard? The only system I've ever run Leopard on was for the first five minutes before the Tiger downgrade. And at the time, the animations were embarrassingly bad. (MacPro quad, dock looked like a flipbook) I would have thought they'd have fixed it by now.

7. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

It's definitely been improved through updates but still isn't perfect yet

8. kolax macrumors G3

They aren't as bad now - generally really smooth for me. Is times when it can be a little bit choppy.

I'm guessing it is unoptimised NVIDIA drivers on the new MBP's. Leopard Graphics Update 3 will probably fix it/make it better.

9. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I find that unacceptable. It's odd how the animations work, even in Tiger. The smoothest dock I have ever seen is on eMacs running tiger. Much smoother than all sorts of Pros and G5s I've used.