Choppy audio with Windows 7 in Parallels 5.0

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Whackintosh, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

I'm very new to the world of virtual machines, so I'm hoping that this is just a newbie issue, but I'm getting choppy audio playback in Win 7. Is there anything I should be checking to troubleshoot?

2. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Virtual Machines are slower than native. It's not uncommon to see choppy audio. You can try to up the ram allocation but it might or might not work.

4. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Everything I've read on Parallels / VM Ware states that aside from graphic-intensive games, all other aspects of a Win 7 virtual machine will be seamless. You're saying that stuttering audio is the norm? I sure hope not. :(

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It really comes down to what your system is. Is it a lower end MacBook or an older macbook? or what?

6. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

It's 3.06 Ghz C2D 21.5 Imac with ATI 4760 and 4gb of RAM. I'd have thought it would be more than enough to spin a VM with stability. Perhaps not?

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

How much ram did you allocate to Windows 7 and how many CPUs?

8. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

One CPU, 1.18 gb of RAM. If I allocate both CPU's to the VM, will OSX be able to function stably?

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It should as long as you're not trying to play a game in the OSX side. The boot up will cause some type of freezing or beachballing but once Windows is booted, it shouldn't have any slow downs.