Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KyleB171

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Paisley, Scotland
Well yeah, it's a iMac 20" 2.4GHz with 4GB RAM and the legendary (lol) Radeon 2400 XT. Just getting choppy minimising on windows etc. I'm running leopard 10.5.6 with all updates downloaded and installed. It was running fine when on 10.5.5 but as soon as I upgraded to 10.5.6 choppy graphics.

I had to do a complete re-install, re-format and everything that was fine but that was my problem, nothing to do with this problem I'm discussing now boot camp ****ed that up; before the re-format 10.5.6 was running smoothly though. I'm maybe thinking it's just needing a few days to get used to it or something, build the cache up I don't know. Tell me your thoughts.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Choppy core animations are a result of either graphics problem (drivers) or system activity. On the Late-2008 MacBook and MacBook Pro's, the choppy animations are a result of nVidia's s--- drivers for OS X and users are hoping 10.5.7 addresses that. In your case, you have a Radeon so video card isn't your problem - ATI writes awesome drivers optimized for OS X. Your problem is likely due to background processes. You might want to launch Activity Monitor and maybe try to find something that is bogging your computer down.

KyleB171

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Paisley, Scotland
Choppy core animations are a result of either graphics problem (drivers) or system activity. On the Late-2008 MacBook and MacBook Pro's, the choppy animations are a result of nVidia's s--- drivers for OS X and users are hoping 10.5.7 addresses that. In your case, you have a Radeon so video card isn't your problem - ATI writes awesome drivers optimized for OS X. Your problem is likely due to background processes. You might want to launch Activity Monitor and maybe try to find something that is bogging your computer down.

Hardly think it can be system activity.

35871139149DB62EE5024D.png

31538724949DB62E81336A.png

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If not system activity, I remember reading something about how 10.5.6 messed around with graphics, made those animations worse than 10.5.5 but don't remember if it was specific video cards that were affected or all.

KyleB171

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Paisley, Scotland
If not system activity, I remember reading something about how 10.5.6 messed around with graphics, made those animations worse than 10.5.5 but don't remember if it was specific video cards that were affected or all.

Ah well, I'll just wait till 10.5.7, it's supposed to fix a lot of graphical issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.