Choppy Graphics 10.6.3 on 13" Unibody Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by UkMacFan, Apr 11, 2010.

1. UkMacFan macrumors newbie

Hello All :)

Im running 10.6.3 on a 13" Aluminium Macbook (5,1) and am experiencing choppy / laggy graphics with the NVidia GeForce 9400M graphics card but only when running on battery power. When I am running on AC power, the graphics are smooth with no issues.

The graphics are choppy when opening the dashboard, expose, spaces and opening stacks from the dock on battery but fine on power :mad:

This is a really annoying issue and want to know how to sort it.

Thanks in advance :(

(System Specs - 160gb HDD (112gb spare) - 2gb Ram - 2GHz Core 2 Duo)

2. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Interesting thing is that on a MacBook Pro 15", DVD burning is 2 or 3 times slower when on battery compared to being plugged in.

Before, while burning a DVD while on battery, it was 6-8x and was unstable, but after I plugged in the charger it went up to 15-16x. Amazing stuff.

I also want to know why.

3. UkMacFan thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is strange :confused:

I've looked at other people posting similar issues and they say that some Macs change energy settings when on battery power to save battery and they change things such as graphics power but i've looked in energy saver and nothing.

It is just surely a simple thing that Apple could try and fix or even offer support

4. rekhyt macrumors 65816

There's no such thing as an "energy setting" on a MacBook Pro 15". Perhaps it is because it had two graphics card-One for energy saving and one for graphical applications/work.

Normally in the battery menu it would have: [Percentage of battery left], then it would say Power Source: Adapter/Battery, and below it would let you say "Better Energy Saving", "Normal", or ""Better Performance".

I think it's meant to be like this-It automatically hops into energy saving mode to preserve and maximize the amount of battery life you get from the battery.