Choppy HD Netflix playback Macbook 5,1 (Unibody)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stmp, Feb 14, 2015.

1. stmp macrumors member

Hi There,

This post is regarding a 2008 Macbook (not PRO) - 5,1 running OS X 10.10.2.

(This is the aluminium unibody, not the white plastic.)

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-2.4-aluminum-13-late-2008-unibody-specs.html

After years of solid performance, my trusty jalopy is finally showing signs of age - alas!

Never had a problem playing back Netflix for many years, and recently have had choppy playback, using both Safari and Firefox.

Problems started while running OS X 10.10.1 - just updated to 10.10.2 in hopes of a fix but the problem persists.

I recently upgraded the internal HDD to a larger 2TB Seagate (5400 RPM) and maxed out the RAM to 8GB - the Netflix issue started shortly after this, but overall system performance is very noticeably improved in every other way. Perhaps it's the hardware?

I can playback non HD netflix with no issue. As soon as HD is enabled however, playback cannot be maintained, and the laptop heat goes way up.

Could this be an HTML5 vs Silverlight Issue?

I'm hoping it's not the new hardware upgrades, as everything else works great - all 8GB Ram recognized and Black Magic Disk Speed to the HDD shows ~100MB/S both Write and Read

Thanks for taking the time to read + any help much appreciated!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. HTML5 is only supported on 2011+ Macs according to the system requirements here. Try downloading the latest copy of Silverlight and try again.