Choppy login screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anderssonx, Nov 16, 2014.

1. anderssonx macrumors newbie

I have this weird problem.
    My Macbook Pro 13 retina is just a couple of months old.

For some reason (and at some point) the login screen started to lag like crazy. It's like it's "choppy". If I move the mouse it kinda moves for a bit and then stops for a second and move again. Same goes for the keyboard. That's it.

But as soon as I've typed in my password and hit login everything seems to run as normal. Maybe I oughta make a video to demonstrate this.

Any ideas what might cause this? I've been googling but haven't found anyone describing the exact same problem, and no solution so far.

I'm using yosemite and it's a 2,4 ghz i5 with 8 gb ram and a ssd drive.

2. tumas macrumors member

Are you using filevault? I switched to filevault with the release of Yosemite and i noticed Wright away, that the "login screen" (which actually is not the real login screen but the filevault-screen to unlock the hd) has obviously no driver enabled, so that e.g. there is no keyboard backlight and the touchpad works kind of slow and sluggish. After unlocking the HD the driver are loaded and keyboard backlight+touchpad work just fine.

Maybe that's also your case?!

3. anderssonx thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! Yeah, that was actually exactly my problem. I disabled filevault and that solved it! Thank you so much! :)

I hope they solve this problem soon so I can enable fv again.