Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
I feel that I am doing something wrong. Either that or I am losing my mind....maybe both. When I do text in photoshop it comes out looking kind of jagged to me. Anti Aliasing is on and it is on smoothing...but when I look at other text on some ads and things (on the same monitor) they seem to look smoother. I could be imagining it though....attached is an example...any ideas? I have tried a 1 px blur on the entire graphic once flattened but that blurs everything and I don't want to do that...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-19 at 6.00.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-19 at 6.00.04 PM.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 587

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
This has nothing to do with the fonts used. It has everything to do with the fact that Illustrator produces vector graphics but Photoshop produces raster graphics.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
In both Illustrator & Photoshop this happens...the text just does not look as clean as on some things that I see..

UTclassof89

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Type quality in Photoshop depends on the resolution of the document (even though type layers are vector, they preview at the file resolution).

If you generate TIFF, JPG, PNG, GIF images out of Illustrator, the same thing happens-- the vector type is rasterized at the file resolution.

When building ads, save in PDF format (in Photoshop leave your text layers intact--don't flatten, and leave the "Layers" option checked in the Save dialog. This will keep the vector type intact in the PDF)

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
That is a great idea for print work but I am talking about stuff for the web. Sorry left out that detail.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
For Photoshop make sure you you set the anti-aliasing method (Sharp, Crisp, Strong, Smooth).

For Illustrator in Save for Web & Devices, under Image Size, choose Type Optimized.

Also, you can view choose View > Pixel Preview in Illustrator to see how the individual pixels are going to come out in the finished product and adjust the placement of the type.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.