Choppy Mirroring

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bdspilot, Apr 20, 2015.

1. bdspilot macrumors newbie

I have been using the MBR for a few days now with no issues and no UI lag but today I tried mirroring to ATV3 and was very choppy. My Atv was set to auto (1080P) i changed setting to 720 and it was better. Atv is on ethernet and MBR is on 5ghz. I tried video from several sources. Video was smooth on MBR but choppy on Atv.video

2. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Airplay of my desktop to my ATV has never been great quality, even with the rMBP. However I did not experience a choppy effect when I used it over the weekend with the MBR, just a delay (i.e. mouse/keyboard lag because the laptop has to convert the display to video and transmit). 1080p.

3. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I experience very choppy AirPlay to my Apple TV 3 from my 15" rMBP but I put that down to my router.

Is it choppy on another Mac or smooth? As I haven't had chance to test that.

4. Geert76 macrumors 65816

try the Beamer app. Works 100% without any lag. Using it now for about 2 years. Can throw 1080P mkv's at it of about 8 - 10 Gb and playing without lag or hiccups.

http://beamer-app.com/

5. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

I haven't had any issues, although I suspected maybe choppiness has to do w/ the network bands. Originally, I have my ATV3 connected to my router's 5GHz network. I tried switching it over to 2.4GHz (which is extremely crowded in my neighborhood--I saw about ~35 or more 2.4GHz wifi connections), and airplay was really choppy. I switched back to 5GHz network and it was smooth again.

Although it may seem unlikely, I hope that my neighborhood doesn't all switch over to 5GHz bands on their wifi connections. So far, I am the only one in my neighborhood outputting 5GHz, so my wifi connections have been extremely stable.

6. mjs402 macrumors 6502

I can mirror HD movies from my rMBP 13" to my ATV-3 without any choppiness or lag with AirPlay. Never had a problem with any of my Apple devices actually.