Choppy/pausy graphics performance at 60 frame per second for Starcraft 2 on rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starfyre, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

A friend of mine was curious on the graphics performance of my rMBP. I let him install Starcraft 2 on it and it looked like there were 59 fps at High settings at a 1680 resolution. However, when he tried moving the cursor to the edge of the screen to look at and pan to one side of the map to the other, there were periods of "brief pauses" along the way. The fps looks very high and is very speedy except for the slight pause/stuttering.

Is this a problem with my graphics card? Do others encounter this glitch?

2. willph macrumors newbie

which rmbp?

I have late with the GT750m and I experience 0 issues playing SC2. Even arcade maps like nexus wars with tons of units on the screen play out ok.
    Graphic settings between high and med

3. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Haswell Late 2013. The graphics look really smooth, but its just that after a maybee every 8 seconds, there is a slight quick pause when panning around the map. I am fairly certain the graphics card can handle it, but not sure if it is a faulty card, or if its some setting that has to be done with the gfx card.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Could it be just network lag in multiplayer?
    How is the CPU utilization.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

There are two Haswell 15" rMBPs. One is Iris-only and the other has Iris+2GB GT750M.

6. TimCook macrumors member

TimCook

I've been having performance issues in SC2 ever since updating to mavericks :(

In on the baseline 2012 rmbp with 650m

I used to play on ultra at 2880x1800 and get 25-40fps

Now I have to play on medium at 1680x1050 and still only get 20-30fps...

Any ideas why this is happening?

7. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

How are you playing it? You should play it in Windows. The SC2 performance on OS X is absolutely atrocious.

8. TimCook macrumors member

TimCook

It used to run perfectly fine on OSX before mavericks :p

I've downloaded it to Windows 7 as well and it runs fine, but I would love to be able to play in OSX as well...

So yeah I would recommend to OP that you play through bootcamp if you are having issues like I am

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007