Choppy Scrolling in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Antadil, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Antadil macrumors newbie

Does anyone else experience the scrolling in Lion to be quite a bit choppy compared to Snow Leopard?! I tried it in Firefox, Safari (very choppy), Chrome, Preview, ...

Any tip to fix this?! :-/

2. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

I'm not having any problems with either a Magic Mouse or a Trackpad. What speed do you have your scrolling set to in the System Preferences? Try adjusting the slider for the scrolling speed under Mouse or Trackpad in System Preferences and see if that fixes it.

3. ianham macrumors member

ianham

I agree. Probably going to be part of the first update. And it sucks that I can't use all the features with my magic mouse! I can't do any of the 3 finger gestures! :mad:

4. Antadil thread starter macrumors newbie

Honestly, I don't see any way to change scrolling speed in my trackpad-preferences?! And I don't think the speed itself has something to do with this ...

It's not that it's totally chopped up, but not really as smooth as in Snow Leopard.

And it's definately worst in Safari!

5. Antadil thread starter macrumors newbie

At least there's another person affected, hehe ;) But seriously, how long do you think this will take to get fixed?!

6. kolax macrumors G3

Yeah I have this too.

I wish we could adjust the scroll speed.. they are obviously trying to mimic scrolling on iOS but I don't like it so fast.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

...And the elastic effect at the top and bottom get in the way of scrolling. While in the effect, you can't really scroll the opposite direction, you have to wait before the effect is completed before it scrolls normally.

8. kolax macrumors G3

Yeah that elastic effect is doing my head in. Looks cute and works on iOS, but not on the Mac. I wish there was a way to disable it..

9. Antadil thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for bringing this up once again ... Nevertheless it seems as if, all of a sudden, Safari started working smoothly again. But Preview is still very choppy :(

10. goodgnus macrumors member

Here's something weird, though maybe it's just me.

Scrolling speed in Lion: If I have my trackpad set to "natural," I feel like it's scrolling too fast because the scroll speed doesn't match my finger speed. Once I reverted to the "old" way of scrolling, I don't mind the speed at all. Maybe it's just me though...?

11. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I just came to the forum to see if anyone else was having this issue... The scrolling is horrible, especially on safari which is like ten times worst than on snow leopard.

I hope this gets fixed or optimized on 10.7.1. Until then Ill keep using snow leopard. What a bummer... can't use Lion with this ****** scrolling...

12. TimShady macrumors member

I'm having the same problem in Safari. Feels laggy, like the page isn't done loading or something. Mildly annoying...

13. hh83917 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've had choppy scrolling in the beginning, but then I saw that Spotlight was reindexing everything on the machine on the top right corner, so I hope the problem will go away after all the reindexing and the system goes to idle.

14. nbogard macrumors newbie

Scrolling Momentum

Having the same problem. Scrolling is choppy in Safari, Firefox, Preview, and Finder. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Also, has anyone noticed that scrolling momentum transfers to new tabs when you close the current tab? When quickly scrolling and scanning through web pages in different tabs, if I Command-W the current tab, the scrolling continues in the new tab. Somewhat annoying that I have to reverse back to the top of page.

15. kmvguy83 macrumors member

16. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I just tried Opera and its even worst, virtually unusable :mad::mad: How could they release Lion with such bad web scrolling? It feels like lag...

Im worried they won't fix this thinking its a iOS like "feature" on Lion...

17. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Hey! I think I found the solution! :D:D:D Let me know if this works for you too:

Go to system preferences - Accessibility - Mouse - Mouse options (at the bottom) - Scrolling speed

Set this to maximum and then Safari works much better :D:D

Cant understand that Apple put this option so difficult to find. I thought they had completely removed it in Lion.

18. beertapper macrumors member

i've got this issue also, but it only seems to happen after I wake from sleep..

2011 mac mini

19. sam223, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

sam223 macrumors member

Had the same issue. Was beginning to get annoying. Went into System Preferences--Mouse--More gestures--Swipe between pages to use two fingers instead of one. This worked for me. However there is no other option to change the swipe between full screen Apps. Hmm wonder why.

20. Gernatch macrumors newbie

Same issues

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had this issue. Hopefully enough people raise a stink so it gets Apple's attention. As someone else said, this happens most often after the computer comes out of sleep. Scrolling becomes jerky as well as the transitions between the desktop and full screen apps, mission control and the launch pad. All of this runs very slowly after occasional sleep and is corrected every time when the computer is rebooted. This isn't a memory or CPU related issue as the activity on these is always low when it happens.

It's a mystery! Its like the deep blue!

21. rocoloco, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011

rocoloco macrumors member

my new air was scrolling perfectly, now I had to erase and reinstall Lion and it seems that scrolling isnt that smooth anymore, especially in app store :/

22. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

The only time I find Safari choppy when scrolling is after waking the computer from sleep. I also find that video performance, especially in VLC and Quick Look, is choppy after waking the system from sleep. A quick reboot sorts it out, but we're only on .1, so there's still kinks being worked out.

23. PaulKemp, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

PaulKemp macrumors 6502

I still have this problem in 10.7.3. Anyone else? Noticed it at first when I got my iMac, tried chaining from Chrome to Safari, but the problem prevails.

The scrolling can start choppy one a page, but before I'm on the top of the page it's all good again.