Choppy scrolling (iPad 3)

tranceFusion

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Anyone having rather choppy scrolling in safari and news reader apps? I haven't used a previous iPad to compare but I assumed it would be nice and smooth like my iPhone 4s..

Mo1959

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
Scotland
Anyone having rather choppy scrolling in safari and news reader apps? I haven't used a previous iPad to compare but I assumed it would be nice and smooth like my iPhone 4s..
Funny you should say that, but I thought it was a bit jerky last night. Just like when you were scrolling a page up or down there was a little stutter.

tranceFusion

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I played with them I'm the apple store today and they all do this. It seems like the refresh rate on the display is too low or something. I guess they need to leave something broken so they can sell us an iPad 4. To be fair, I think the 2 does this as well, but with the lower resollution it comes off more as a motion blur than a choppiness.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
I played with them I'm the apple store today and they all do this. It seems like the refresh rate on the display is too low or something. I guess they need to leave something broken so they can sell us an iPad 4. To be fair, I think the 2 does this as well, but with the lower resollution it comes off more as a motion blur than a choppiness.
Does the user experience suffer. I am still using my iPad 1 and it is working fine. Is it similar to the refresh rates on the first generation?

iosuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
It is silky smooth, just like every i-device I've ever owned, currently iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and now 3. I am extremely sensitive (as in picky) about a smooth UI. There is simply nothing else out there that gives you the consistently silky smooth UI experience, iPad 3 (expectedly) included.

----------

Does the user experience suffer. I am still using my iPad 1 and it is working fine. Is it similar to the refresh rates on the first generation?
Not sure what trance fusion was seeing... I had the iPad 1. It's still the same silky smoothness when scrolling in Safari, except now it's vastly sharper.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
It is silky smooth, just like every i-device I've ever owned, currently iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and now 3. I am extremely sensitive (as in picky) about a smooth UI. There is simply nothing else out there that gives you the consistently silky smooth UI experience, iPad 3 (expectedly) included.

----------

Not sure what trance fusion was seeing... I had the iPad 1. It's still the same silky smoothness when scrolling in Safari, except now it's vastly sharper.
I also have the iPad 1, and now iPad 3. No scrolling issues whatsoever.

And I, too, notice that very easily. That is what drives me crazy about Android--even a slight lag drives me nuts.

Michael

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
For most part (99%) it is very smooth without any problems.

However, I do notice that when a page just got loaded, or an app that just loaded, the starting 0.1 second feels choppy and it will autocorrect itself and becomes smooth.

tranceFusion

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's not that it's jerky or laggy, it's like the display updates slowly or something and the text seems to jump rather than slide. It seems to cause me eye strain when using it for more than a few minutes to web/news browse.

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
I bought two 32G 4G, one white, one black. Both has the scrolling issues. In a text only web site, scroll up and down, and it's kind of wobbling.

Tried on my original iPad (16G 3G), no wobbling happened.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's not that it's jerky or laggy, it's like the display updates slowly or something and the text seems to jump rather than slide. It seems to cause me eye strain when using it for more than a few minutes to web/news browse.
I have to agree that's why we need a JB all that can be tweaked.