Choppy scrolling rMBP 2015

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ElectricFoal, Jan 26, 2017.

1. ElectricFoal macrumors newbie

Hello, everyone! I have recently bought a MacBook Pro retina 2015 (mjlq2) with i7, 16gb ram and intel iris pro. I like everything about this notebook except one problem that bothers me - the scrolling is pretty choppy in the browsers (both Chrome and Safari). My old Lenovo Yoga 13 runs more smooth than my new 1800$ mac :( I've tried a clean install sierra and clean install el capitan with the same result. Is my problem because of integrated GPU? Should I change it while I can to the new rMBP 2016 with dedicated card?

2. rutrack macrumors member

It shouldn't be choppy, maybe it's doing that because your system is loaded? If it is new, it could be that spotlight is doing the indexing or filevault is encrypting your drive. Check your system load, it's under Applications->Utilities->Activity Monitor

3. ElectricFoal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply! Already checked, System uses 1-2% and user uses 0.5-1%. When I do scrolling it increases to 80-90%. The scrolling lags even here, on MacRumors, which I didn't expect at all because there is only text information here, no heavy elements :(

4. rutrack macrumors member

It should be very smooth, there is likely some kind of problem, I just googled for it and got a ton of solutions, from Disabling automatic light adjustment in Display preference to reseting PRAM. I would start with PRAM and see if it fixes it, but it should be very smooth, it's a very powerful laptop and webkit utilises your cpu while you're scrolling and it is quad core :)

5. ElectricFoal thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried reseting PRAM as well as disabling auto light adjustment (just like to control it manually). I also found many complaints about this issue, but there is no 100% working solution as far as I can see. I would like to hear feedback from the retina owners with iris pro graphic, because I don't play games, so I don't want to spend extra 700$ just to get smooth scrolling. It is very noticeable on this page: http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

6. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Does your browser wait till you scroll to a graphic to load it? That can cause stuttering in scrolling, but it's a software thing. I don't know how much control browsers give over that.

7. ElectricFoal thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, all graphic is completely loaded when I enter a site. I experience stuttering even if I scroll back and forth on the certain part, like 3 centimeters forward and 3 centimeters back, 3 centimeters forward and again 3 centimeters back (hope you understand what I mean, english is not my first language).

8. rutrack macrumors member

Did you try with a test user ? When you reinstall MacOS X, it retains your home folder, so try to create a new test user and see if the problem remains.

9. ElectricFoal thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried first, same result. But then I did the install with full erase of the ssd. P.S. Such a nice community, thank's for trying to help :)

10. rutrack macrumors member

Well it shouldn't be choppy and works very smooth out of the box, normally, without downgrading any visual appearance options. Things to try, maybe:
    - Update OS
    - Make sure the background apps are not working hard, like Apple Mail which may be pulling mail
    - Disable all external devices, including mice and sd card
    --- Post Merged, Jan 26, 2017 ---
    if you open your terminal and type "uptime", what are the values for load averages ?

11. ElectricFoal thread starter macrumors newbie

BTW, other animations are flawless - like mission control, minimizing, resizing, maximizing. I'm considering to talk to my reseller and change this one to a new MBP with Touch Bar and dedicated card. I'll miss usb and MagSafe (and also another 700$ :p), but want to have a perfect smooth Mac, like it supposed to be.

12. rutrack macrumors member

Did you try to update to latest OS release ?
    If what you're set for is a newer MBP then it's probably what you'd want to do anyway.

13. ElectricFoal thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the OS is Sierra 10.12.2 - AppStore says that no updates available.

14. rutrack macrumors member

That's really strange, but it's definitely not your graphics card ... What's puzzling is the fresh clean install. Some hardware could be faulty, I guess.

15. ElectricFoal thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I downloaded quartz debug tool and set the fps meter. On the apple site it shows 50-60fps with drops to 40 fps when I reach heavy object. Maybe I just expected too much and this is normal?

16. ElectricFoal thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow... Just installed Windows 10 using BootCamp. The scrolling is so smooth, like 120 fps! What the hell, Apple? I don't have any words, windows is running better than OS X on MacBook... I really want to stay with OS X, it is more beautiful and has useful features for developers. On windows I run retina resolution with everything scaled 200%, pretty the same does the OS X?

17. ElectricFoal thread starter macrumors newbie

Here are some video recordings from both operating systems: - from Windows and - from Sierra.
    Watch full videos, you can notice the difference - especially when the mac with loudspeakers appears on the video.