Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sabester24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Anybody experiencing a choppy startup using El Capitan? For instance, when I restart, the Apple Logo pops up with the loading bar, then the screen quickly flashes to black, then back to the Apple Logo w/ loading bar. Not exactly what I would call a smooth animation... Sometimes the loading bar doesn't even fully complete, the computer just flashes directly to the login screen. I'm using a Late 2015 iMac 5k. I don't remember my old iMac doing this on a restart. Not a huge issue, but just wondering if anybody else is experiencing this problem. Thinking it may be a sign of a bigger issue.

Seed101

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
Yep.

Freaked me out at first, but things seem to be running well, so I'm going to run with it until someone explains further/an update 'fixes' this!?

One question. Are you using Apple ram?
I did think it could be the ram, as I've replaced mine...

sabester24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Yep.

Freaked me out at first, but things seem to be running well, so I'm going to run with it until someone explains further/an update 'fixes' this!?

One question. Are you using Apple ram?
I did think it could be the ram, as I've replaced mine...

I'm using the 8 GB Apple stock ram combined with 16 GB of Crucial RAM. So I've got a total of 24, some stock, some 3rd party.

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
I've got the same thing. Are you on an SSD? There's no need for Apple to have a progress bar for SSD users - they should really just have a static Apple logo, as they use on the iPhone/Pad

Seed101

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
I've got the same thing. Are you on an SSD? There's no need for Apple to have a progress bar for SSD users - they should really just have a static Apple logo, as they use on the iPhone/Pad

512gb SSD here...

sabester24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
I'm on 2 TB Fusion Drive, so technically yes, I believe OS X is stored on the SSD portion.

ScorpionT16

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Same here, i'm a first time mac user and got the 5K iMac running ElCapitan, it's been doing this since day 1, good to know it's not only me, i've been wondering:confused:... I'm on a 256GB SSD. I ran the apple stock 8GB ram on its own for a few weeks, same issue. Now i have a mix of 24GB with Crucial and still the same, so def not the ram.

Its a little annoying.

JohnSFO

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
It's happened to me too. Late 2015 5k running El Capitan. It happened before and after adding more RAM. I haven't updated to 10.11.2 yet, so maybe Apple addressed it?

Coldmode

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2010
Do you have FileVault turned on? I always thought the black progress bar was related to FileVault. My work MBP does it (has FV), and my girlfriend's MBA doesn't.

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
Do you have FileVault turned on? I always thought the black progress bar was related to FileVault. My work MBP does it (has FV), and my girlfriend's MBA doesn't.
I was thinking the exact same thing. After I turned FileVault on on my Macs they do the same thing, whereas before they did not. It is nothing I worry about though. I am happy to have all of my data protected.

sabester24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
I was thinking the exact same thing. After I turned FileVault on on my Macs they do the same thing, whereas before they did not. It is nothing I worry about though. I am happy to have all of my data protected.

Not sure it has anything to do with FileVault...in fact, I recently turned FileVault off because it was causing other performance issues, and it still starts up choppy. I guess there is a possibility that FileVault didn't fully deactivate, and that may be causing this.

bent christian

Suspended
Nov 5, 2015
I have the same experience on the 2015 1080p model. Shutdown also decreases brightness, dock lowers and freezes.

The system runs great, so I think it's just a quirk of El Cap.

Not quite ready for prime time.

ScorpionT16

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Not sure it has anything to do with FileVault...in fact, I recently turned FileVault off because it was causing other performance issues, and it still starts up choppy. I guess there is a possibility that FileVault didn't fully deactivate, and that may be causing this.

I've never used FileVault, and it's still the same choppy start up. I even messed up installing a program and ended up doing a complete fresh install of ElCapitan on my Late 2015 iMac 27", same issue even with a fresh install and no settings, programs, files, filevault, etc.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I just can't understand why anyone would care one whit what the screen does on startup as long as it's fine once it's booted.

ScorpionT16

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I just can't understand why anyone would care one whit what the screen does on startup as long as it's fine once it's booted.

Simply because it's odd, not smooth, and raises an eyebrow, that's all. It's like your car stalling or misfiring on the start and then driving fine once up and running. Its a small hiccup, and just good to know it's not a setting, program, bad ram, etc... causing the problem, but the OS.

Coldmode

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2010
Simply because it's odd, not smooth, and raises an eyebrow, that's all. It's like your car stalling or misfiring on the start and then driving fine once up and running. Its a small hiccup, and just good to know it's not a setting, program, bad ram, etc... causing the problem, but the OS.
Indeed, even if it's not causing a problem right now, it could be a symptom of something else that will bite you eventually. I'm interested in figuring this out, since several people who use FV (including me) see something similar, but many who don't also see the same thing. I wonder if it's not related to FV at all now.

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
There is nothing wrong - it was like that out of the box for me.

I'm also intrigued why my new iMac has a black boot up screen and my old one has a grey one. Both are on the same version of EC

sabester24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
This might be an issue specific to the iMac. I just booted up my MacBook Air and it was a smooth loading bar on startup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.