Choppy streaming Issues.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by philPDX, Aug 4, 2014.

1. philPDX macrumors newbie

I have a new iMac and a very reliable internet connection, yet when I try to stream anything (you tube, twitch, netflix etc.) it's piss poor chop. (I can't even watch a 2 minute movie trailer with out it taking up to ten minutes)

My girlfriend has a 4 year old $300 dell that streams fine, and my xbox has no issues either, so my conclusion is that it's a settings issue with my software.

The browsers I use is firefox and crome. I've dug for a solution and haven't had one that has solved my problem.

2. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

Have you run any network speed tests (on your Mac)? E.g. www.speedtest.net?

That would be a useful diagnostic.

3. philPDX thread starter macrumors newbie

Down is 2.42mpbs up is 4.46mpbs

4. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

And what speed is your internet connection - what speeds you get on your other devices?

And is your iMac connected over WIFI or Ethernet?

5. philPDX thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac is over WIFI, I don't know the connection speed. But every other device has zero problems.

Like I said, streaming is no issue for any other device, just my iMAC.

6. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

Just trying to establish whether your network is fantastic/OK/dreadful.

There's too many unknowns and variables for me to offer you any help here I'm afraid. It could be a million and 1 things.

Try to isolate the problem by changing things. So find out what speeds your other devices are getting. If they are all getting 2.4 Mbit then you have a broadband problem. (You say they all work, but perhaps they all work but only just - I have no idea. Or maybe they are getting 100Mbit speeds. Either way, knowing this is good info.)

Try connecting up over Ethernet and see if that fixes it. If it does, you have a WIFI problem. If it is a WIFI problem, try connecting on 5GHz instead of 2.4GHz - or the other way around. Maybe try changing the WIFI channel on your router. Or you can try deleting the WIFI connector from your Network settings and add in a new fresh one.

There's lots of things to try, but without narrowing the problem down a bit, it's impossible to know where to start to be honest.