Choppy streaming video on my macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by figureitoutjohn, May 4, 2010.

1. figureitoutjohn macrumors newbie

I just got a macbook. I love it with the exception that when I stream sports, the picture and sound are clear but the picture's streaming speed isn't steady.

For instance, a watching hockey, it looks like the players are speeding up and slowing down the entire time.

Does anyone know of a driver that I can run to stop this? Maybe a different browser. I have tried firefox and safari and the problem is the same on both.

Thanks,

John

2. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Are you sure its not the stream itself that looks like that? Have you tried it on another computer at the same time to see if the problem exists there as well?
    I have streamed hockey from places like Usteam, and 99% of those streams are of very poor quality.

3. figureitoutjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention this.

The issue happens only in full screen but it looks smooth when it is not maximized.

~John

4. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

most likely because the resolution is stretched out when in full screen thus making it look not so good.

I watch hockey streamed on justin.tv and other sites and experience the same problem sometime. I look around until i find the best quality stream.

5. figureitoutjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

I currently am using an HDMI output. Maybe I could change the resolution to something different for watching games and it might work better.

6. Profsportster macrumors newbie

Choppy Streaming MacBook Pro stopped with Parallels,Windows

I can only make the "choppy" streaming stop by going into Parallels, start Windows 7, go to internet Explorer. It will only stream (watching PBS TV auction now) in the Windows environment for me on my Mac.

7. grumpybob macrumors newbie

So I decided to not be a leech and share my fix (signed up here just to post this answer)...

Not sure if this is still happening to anyone and maybe my problem was isolated but I fixed the issue on my machine and thought I'd share...

I was having MAJOR lag issues with streaming video online on my machine. To the point that the videos were unwatchable because of the jittery, choppiness, and generally overall poor performance.

After troubleshooting for an hour I found that MY problem was stemming from a google chrome issue. I am all fixed now and here is where I found the solution.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/chrome/zRDBYF_yLdE

Make sure you restart Chrome once you've followed the instructions for the fix to take affect.

Although I know some people have way larger issues then just a crummy flash setting on Chrome but I hope this helps someone...