Choppy Video from External HD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by muflyer, Dec 16, 2007.

1. muflyer macrumors member

For the first time, I am storing and editing video on an External HD in iMovie HD. In the past, I have always stored and edited the video directly from my main HD. In playing back the video in iMovie, I notice it is choppy and the picture locks up. I have not previously had this issue. Is this a concern when editing video from an External HD. I am using a Firewire connection. If this is a known issue are there any workarounds such as transferring the video file to the Main HD? If I burn the video to a DVD will I still have the same concern? Thanks for any assistance.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

How full is your external HDD and how many FW devices to you have hooked up? The rule of thumb is to *not* use the main HDD to store video, so you've got the right idea but for some reason it isn't working.

Lethal

3. tracetritt macrumors member

another possibility could be the speed of the external drive.

4. alex1 macrumors newbie

It is probably that that the drive is about half full or may be an older drive. Another possibility is you haven't turned off your computer in a while and need to do a cold boot, (not restart) to clear the memory. I have a G-Raid that works great, but even that can get jittery if I have a bunch of programs on and sucking up memory when it's over half full when i'm editing 720p HDV.