Choppy video from gopro on my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mantic, Dec 5, 2012.

1. mantic macrumors 6502a

I just bought the Hero 3 Black edition and my video playback it very choppy.

Here are my computer specs:

Macbook Pro
    2.33GHz
    2Gb of ram
    256 Graphics card
    Lion 10.7.5

According to the gopro website, I should be able to handle the videos. However, so far, that has not been the case. I have tried playing the videos back in several different programs, and it's all the same. Even in gopro's own software after converting to .MOV, it is choppy. I have no problems streaming 1080 HD online.. Any ideas? I got this camera for my trip to Turks and Caicos and would really like to get the bugs worked out before i leave on the 15th.

2. Ccrew, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012

Ccrew macrumors 68020

You just barely make the bottom cut on specs for Cineform Studio, and my experience is that with that little memory you'll never get a clean render. Streaming an online video is nowhere near the same as processing one in an editor.

For Cineform Studio:

Minimum Spec Requirements: (For video playback in quarter or half-resolution 3D)

Recommended Spec Requirements:
    Mac
    • Intel Mac ONLY
    • Quad Core Processor, 4GB RAM
    • 1920×1080 or higher screen resolution
    • Fast dedicated media drive

Sorry, but the "bug" isn't the camera, it's the underpowered computer.

3. mantic thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had no problem rendering the exact same video from youtube after I uploaded it. I checked my ram usage while playing the video and I still had a good amount of free ram. If adding more ram would fix the problem I would have no problem adding it, but I want to avoid chasing a problem with money when I'm not sure that's the issue. More input on this?

----------

Yeah, i'm not shooting in 3D though. Just 1080p..

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

You didn't render it from YouTube, you streamed it. There's a HUGE difference.

----------

And you're not half resolution either, at 1080. That 1/4 to 1/2 resolution was the min spec for hardware. You're more than that. Getting clearer?

5. mantic thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. mantic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obviously, something is underpowered.. if it's ram, that's an easy fix.. if it's something else, i'll need a new computer.

7. JDawgsUpTown macrumors newbie

Barer of bad news

I have the same issues but I'm running the following on my Macbook Pro

2.53 GHz Intel Dual Core
    6Gb of RAM DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M @ 256

Even with 6GB of ram, when playing the video on GoPro Cineform Studio (free off the gopro site) I still have 180% CPU usage. hate the barer of bad news but its because your CPU isn't fast enough, and the CPU's are irreplacable on the Macbook Pros (as they are soldered into your logic board)

Good/bad news: the new iMac's have Quadcore i7's which can boost up to 3.5GHz+ and are cheaper than to get an equivalent speed on a macbook pro (over $1000 cheaper)