Choppy video playback and performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yusufinternet, Oct 16, 2014.

1. yusufinternet, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

yusufinternet macrumors newbie

Hello every one..

I have a 9,2 MacBook Pro, I had a problem lately with the computer performance, the problem is that the computer turns unresponsive from time to time, and needs a lot of time to do simple tasks, while playing video the video playback is very choppy, especially if playing a high resolution video (i.e. 720 px , 1080 px), I have tried reseting the SMC and PRAM but no success in resolving the problem, I checked the harddisk with disk utility but no errors were found, the S.M.A.R.T status is verified, everything seems to be ok!

anyway, I read that reinstalling Mac OS X might solve the problem, but my internet connection is too slow to do that, and it fails in the middle of the way every time I try to, so I downloaded ubuntu and formatted the complete hard disk and installed it, to discover that the problem continue to persist, although the performance is a little bit better but the problem continue to exist, and it is very frustrating, when I play a 1080 p video from my external usb hard disk it plays smoothly, while it does not when playing from the built-in hard drive.. does this suggest that there is a problem with my hard disk and that I should go for a change? Any ideas?? :(

2. yusufinternet thread starter macrumors newbie

Help..

the problem happened when I was using OS X 10.9 Mavericks

here are some details about the computer:

2.5 ghz i5
    8 GB RAM
    500 GB HD

Pleeaase heelp !! :eek:

3. dopeman macrumors regular

9,2? what year is that?

4. yusufinternet thread starter macrumors newbie

5. dopeman macrumors regular

sounds like hd failure....you should get apple people to check your computer.

6. yusufinternet thread starter macrumors newbie

But we don't have apple people in Iraq :D
    Is there any tests that I can do to make sure that changing the HD will solve the problem?
    I appreciate your help Mr.dopeman..

7. yusufinternet thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello every body..
    Just to let you know, I have changed my hard disk with an SSD, and it works just fine currently..