Choppy video playback on iPad with Logmein and Mac Mini

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Karnivore, May 31, 2010.

1. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

I purchased Logmein Ignition for my iPad and installed the app on my Mac Mini. Set up was a breeze and everyting works well except for video playback. When I bring up Youtube or other Flash streaming sites on my Mac the video on iPad is slow and choppy, even over wi-fi network.

Did I just waste $30.00?

2. synagence macrumors 6502a

If that's the reason you thought about getting ignition then yes

Basically it's designed to give you desktop access via the iPad but basically it works by streaming the desktop to the remote app but it's impossible to get smooth video on it. Its not streaming the video film but the entire desktop so it's not as efficient.

Sorry

3. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

synagence is correct. It's a tool designed to extend desktop functionality for remote productivity not a media streaming solution. It will never be what you wanted and you probably should have looked at the huge remote desktop thread in this section before you bought. Video streaming was brought up several times in it. You could have tested regular logmein out between two computers and found this out for free.

Why would you buy it for video streaming anyhow when the iPad/iPhone versions don't support audio?

4. msmyth macrumors member

If you are looking to stream video I would suggest AirVideo.

£1.79 GBP and even transcodes non apple supported formats on the fly, allowing you to watch instantly.

Great little app. :cool:

5. Karnivore thread starter macrumors 6502

Karnivore

It's definitely not the ONLY reason but I was really hoping to be able to view full Youtube and Hulu on iPad that way. Oh well, it's still very useful anyways.

I already have Air Video, it's awsome.

Thanks for all the feedback, folks!

6. busybeea macrumors newbie

Splashtop Remote

check out the newly released Splashtop Remote:

It plays video/audio very well -- best solution by far on the app store.

7. Royal Mouse macrumors newbie

8. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I really like AirVideo, but as newer apps appear, it wouldn't hurt to do a little research and check reviews to see which app is now on top.

9. mac jones macrumors 68040

I just googled Splashtop to see what's what with this, as I just bought It, and it brought me 'back' here.

This app works very well, but i'm thinking a lot of these apps do.
    The good thing about Splash is the sound (and the cost is decent).

Logmein is $30 and apparently doesn't have sound, which may be ok, and it may have other desirable features.

I can even watch Slingbox with Splashtop, albiet not a smooth as an the actually Windows 7 machine, but still.

So many options now, makes your head spin (and your wallet light) :D