Choppy Video

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xtn, Jan 27, 2008.

1. xtn macrumors regular

hey guys,

i was wondering why every time i watch videos online they are always choppy? even when the video is completely loaded it lags. the sound is fine but the video is usually poor. my roommate has a pc and i've started watching videos on his computer b/c its so annoying. any suggestions? thanks in advance

2. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I just posted a thread in the MR Applications forum asking the same basic question. I have a G3 imac and from what I have read on this and other Mac discussion sites, the choppy video problem may be due to the early Mac processors being too "slow" to handle the complex digital encryption of videos from most modern-day internet sites. No matter what I do (selecting different preferences on Quicktime, etc.) I can't get a smooth video from YouTube and other such sites. Limewire (non-pirated) downloads look fine, however. I'm surprised there isn't more written on this topic by older Mac users. BTW, I have a 3mbps internet connection so that isn't the problem (I just switched from dial-up last month--best thing I ever did).

3. xtn thread starter macrumors regular

i dont think that's my problem since i have a macbook pro...i dont know if i need to update anything?