Choppy Youtube on my eMac G4 - help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Legacy, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Legacy macrumors 6502

I don't understand why it is choppy. It runs okay when in window mode but when I fullscreen it it is choppy and I looks like I need some sort of vertical sync.

I have a decent G4 processor in there (1.42GHz) and a decent GPU, is it the RAM?

2. TSE macrumors 68030

How much ram? If you have atleast 1 GB, it should be fine, otherwise it must since Youtube depends on the CPU, must be the G4.

Like I said before, PPC processors are going extinct.

3. Legacy thread starter macrumors 6502

Only 256 for the mo...surely it can't be the cpu do all powerbook users have this problem?!

4. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I bet they do. Youtube is flash, which plays horribly on the Mac to begin with. Now run it on a G4, then put it fullscreen, and you're going to have stuttery playback.

5. Legacy thread starter macrumors 6502

Isn't there a browser to get round this problem? I'm using Safari at the moment... (Tiger 10.4.11)

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

7. Legacy thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm going to upgrade it when I get the chip. At the moment I have two safari browsers open thats it. One has Youtube and one has Macrumors so RAM shouldn't be that much of an issue..

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It's a huge issue.

Safari is a massive memory hog. And so is flash. Slap the OS on top of that and you're swapping to the HD like mad.
    No wonder it's choppy in full screen.

You need more RAM.

9. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

No... it's a platform issue... and I'll wager RAM won't help. This is flash. on an old mac.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well I have a similar box, though not an eMac.. slower PPC processor and only a 64MB video card (though that has no bearing on this issue), but 2GB of RAM and full screen Youtube works just fine.

I will not argue that flash is less than perfect on the Mac, but 256MB of RAM is simply not enough for modern computing.

11. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

256mb isnt even nearly enough these days. Not even for the most basic of tasks. Beef it up to 1gb or more, and you'll definitely notice the difference.

12. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I agree about the RAM being a little low for a lot of things. And I'll take your word on the fullscreen flash being affected by it.

But... I will say that for all the flash files I've built, the bigger you scale it, the choppier it is. I've always had over a Gb of RAM, even back to the early G4 days, and full-screen flash ran like absolute trash.

Earth to Adobe.

13. davidia macrumors newbie

I have a 1.33Ghz 12" PowerBook G4 1.25Gb RAM and it runs YouTube smoothly, my eMac 1.25Ghz with 1GB RAM is a bit choppy but not too bad. I think it is the 32Mb VRAM in the eMac compared to the 64MB in the PowerBook. It could be the chipset as well.

14. weckart macrumors 68040

I find the Macrumors site to be one of the worst for browsing. I can feel my laptops tensing up when I throw the URL in. All those linked adverts take their toll, to say nothing of trying to scroll the site on an iPhone/iTouch. You just get bounced all over the place as every spare inch seems to be taken up by a link to somewhere or other.

15. overcast macrumors 6502a

Welcome to 1998.

16. nout72 macrumors regular

nout72

It isn't that slow on my machine, but I agree: internet-browsing could be a lot faster and more fun if those annoying flash adds didn't show up all the time.
    Add and Flash add-blocking on Camino works like a treat, but don't expect it to load sites faster because of that.
    Loading times are exactly the same, because it appears that all those linked adds first have to be loaded or cued before Camino can block them.
    Browsing can be faster with all those adds blocked, but not necessarily.

17. brooklyn1 macrumors newbie

brooklyn1

Its not the Processor ( The G4 is a great Processor!) Its the lack of ram and the video chipset. Go to system Preferences and click on quick time then browser set movie cache to 4000 then to streaming set streaming speed to Intranet/LAN short delay. All video runs great on my 700MHz G4 eMac 512 RAM and Gforce2 MX chipset.

18. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

As others have said , max out the RAM

No problems here with a G3 iMac and a gig of RAM ,bit slow loading sometimes but that's about it

...now if my G3 could run Logic :D

19. Kathy Hussey macrumors newbie

Yes! Quicktime movie cache

You, my friend, are a flipping genius. I have been watching choppy video for the longest time, wondering how, with an acceptably fast processor (1.25) and plenty of RAM (2GB), it could be so pathetic. I got online just now to see if there was some buffer-type preference somewhere that I was missing, and this is it. My cache was default set to the minimum 100MB.

If you are having this problem, try the above - it fixed it for me! Thanks Brooklyn : ) -kh

20. brooklyn1 macrumors newbie

choppy video

Your welcome. Im glad I could help someone.

21. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

hmmm on my emac it has 512mb 1ghz and runs fine so its not ur processer for sure maybe just a little more ram? i dont think its that but if 12012091209 people do maybe it is well maybe i shhould of read it before i said something now i look like an idiot with a post after the fact that its been solved

22. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

so U CAN play utube vids on ur g3 cause i sold my friend a 512 for his g3 and he maxed it out mainly so 10.4 would run fast but if youtube good