Chosing a display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mogallin, Jul 25, 2008.

1. mogallin macrumors member

Gonna buy a MP the next week since I simply cant stand w8ing 5months to get a new computer.

And my question is, can anyone recomend a display to get for it?
    Or just as good, a nice website with lots of reviews and so on?

I will play some games, but probably not in tournaments or so, just with friends. I also intend to to some programming, 3d animation and maybe a little photo editing. None of the above mentioned is on a very serious level, but i quite like having a display that meets and preferably even exceeds my needs.

The cheeper the bett (is that in any way unusual) but i could think of paying as much as £1000 if its a really nice display, but id prefer to keep it under £500 (quite a diference).

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You can get decent 24" displays for around £350-£400, 22" for under £200. If image quality is not essential (talking about for professional work where colour reproduciton is essential), and it doesn't appear it is for you, then there is no need to spend more than that. ~£1000 will get you a 30" display.

This link might get you started: http://scan.co.uk/Index.aspx?NT=1-0-30-101-0

Try searching for the models that interest you and you should get plenty of reviews.

3. mogallin thread starter macrumors member

Never mind my original post.

What i am wondering is:

1: Will i notice any difference in image quality between a, say samsung 275t and a eizo 26", when for example watching images?

2: Wil a 5ms difference in response time really make a difference when playing games?

3: Are there any good sites to find reviews and comparisions?

4: Are there any manufacturer making displays as goodlooking as apples, and will they look good beside a MP? (somewhat unececary but if there are two rather equal displays and one looks alot better that would make the choise much better)

4. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

Again, unless you're working w/ graphics/video/photo etc and need absolutely perfect, calibrated colors then theres no need at all for spending 2x more on a "professional" monitor

For a casual gamer... nope. If you're one of those people who get the top of the line everything to get additional 5fps, and are weighing your mouse thinking it'll improve your skills... nope.

Cnet? You'll find hundreds of reviews on any model w/ a simple search... Also take a look at user opinions on Amazon and the like...

Nope and thats why alot of us pay 2x-3x more for an Apple display even if you can get one w/ much higher specs for much cheaper from Dell/HP etc...

5. mogallin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. Is this 100% sure? I was into a photoshop a week ago and saw a eizo 24" with an amazing image quality (compared to my 2 years old samsung 19"). Would i see that difference on all new displays or just some paneltypes?

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Image quality is tied to the panel type, the electronics that are used and if the display is calibrated properly. A properly calibrated Eizo is going to offer much better quality than something like a dell or samsung out of the box.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/displays/ is a good review site that I forgot to include in my earlier post. Together with InkMaster's two suggestions I would think you could get a decent idea of what is out there.