Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ChowNow-250x164.png
ChowNow has updated close to 700 custom-built food and restaurant apps with Apple Pay support, nearly two months after becoming the first online ordering platform to integrate the mobile payments service. The updated apps enable iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus users to pay for their food and drinks at hundreds of independent restaurants located throughout the United States.
"By giving independent restaurants access to the latest in technology at an affordable price, we are upholding our mission of helping them compete with larger chains," says Chris Webb, CEO of ChowNow. "We will update each restaurant's native app to include Apple Pay at no additional cost, so restaurant owners can focus on operating their businesses."
ChowNow has been updating dozens of apps for its restaurant clients with Apple Pay support over the past week, as tracked by our sister website AppShopper, although the pace has picked up significantly over the past few days. The update process is presumably rather simple, given that the apps are based on the same backend with specific branding, menus and ordering information for each restaurant.

ChowNow-Apple-Pay.jpg
Apple Pay has been widely adopted since launching in October, with support recently added at Western Union, TD Bank and over 200,000 vending machines and self-serve kiosks. Apple predicted last year that in-app purchases will make up the majority of early Apple Pay transactions. The mobile payments service is currently limited to the United States, although an international expansion could start with Canada in March.

Article Link: ChowNow Updates Nearly 700 Food and Restaurant Apps With Apple Pay Support

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This sounds like a positive move. I would also like to see restaurants moving to he european standard where they bring the machine to the table where you can swipe your card or use Apple pay. I don't like giving my credit card to someone who walks away with it for several minutes. And of course I am not going to give up my iPhone.

Wondercow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Toronto, Canada
This sounds like a positive move. I would also like to see restaurants moving to he european standard where they bring the machine to the table where you can swipe your card or use Apple pay. I don't like giving my credit card to someone who walks away with it for several minutes. And of course I am not going to give up my iPhone.

I think you'll find that, rather than the "European way", it's the "most everywhere outside of the United States way" :p

I can't wait for Apple Pay to come to Canada; NFC payment is ubiquitous here.

brucem91

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2009

I've been to a few places in the US that do this as well. Only instead of bringing the device to your table at checkout, it is always their for ordering, games, and other various apps.

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010

The USA sounds really out-dated to me. Not meaning to insult you personally. But there seems to be, across the board, an inability to execute. This includes the unproductive congress and the private industries who haven't updated payment security and processing. At one point the president said they would go to the moon and they did it. What happened since then? This will sound partisan to an American, but as an outside observer I don't think it is, but the cause seems to be the rise of movements between the spectrum of center-right and libertarian, including modern religious movements. The "business-friendly" policies that should create innovation seem to make the private industries so cozy and comfortable just maintaining the status quo. I guess it's part of the reason Apple stands out as almost an enigma for a company of it's age and size, that they are not at all standing still in an environment where everyone else is. And only thanks to Apple has the USA leap-frogged many countries in terms of payment processing and payment security.

ChasInVictoria

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
Victoria BC
And this still has not been updated to run natively on an iPad?

Apple Pay works just fine on a Touch ID-equipped iPad for in-app purchases. It doesn't work for in-store purchases because it would be limited to just the cellular versions of the device, and because of how unbelievably stupid and awkward you'd look flailing your iPad around near a POS terminal compared to an iPhone. Have you actually tried holding an iPad Air 2 with cellular with only your thumb on the Touch ID button?

This was a conscious -- and wise -- decision on Apple's part, IMO.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
How do I find a restaurant near me that has an app built by ChowNow?

EDIT: I guess clicking on the AppShopper link in the OP links to all of the apps, but I can't tell if any of them are local restaurants....don't recognize any of the names.

Last edited:

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
https://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/09/chownow-apple-pay-support/

Apple Pay has been widely adopted since launching in October, with support recently added at Western Union, TD Bank and over 200,000 vending machines and self-serve kiosks. Apple predicted last year that in-app purchases will make up the majority of early Apple Pay transactions. The mobile payments service is currently limited to the United States, although an international expansion could start with Canada in March.

Article Link: ChowNow Updates Nearly 700 Food and Restaurant Apps With Apple Pay Support

The link to "200,000 vending machines" appears to point to the Western Union Apple Pay article, which does not much seem to talk about 200,000 vending machines. Would the MacRumors staff be so kind as to update the link.

Thanks,
demo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.