chpwn's Spire -- can't launch any apps? (fixed)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by aforty, Dec 28, 2011.

1. aforty, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

As soon as I install Spire I can't launch any apps other than Apple's built it. So Twitter, Angry Birds, 1Password, you name it, they all appear to be launching (I see the apps launch screen) but then they crash back to the Springboard.

I remember having this same issue with one of the other Siri hacks that came along. Uninstalling Siri is always the solution.

Any configuration files I could look into and perhaps restore/reset?

Thanks in advance!

2. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

3. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Yep, same issues here. I contacted the developer twice, but never got a response.

4. Qoo macrumors 6502

i got lucky that installed Spire, but i don't see the Spire icon in the SETTING. What should i do now? anybody have this issue?

5. aforty, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

Wow... I think I fixed it!

After a ton of back and forth, trying to reset settings and basically doing everything possible before trying a full restore, I was going through the Crash Reporter and noticed dyld and My3G showing up a lot.

Some background:
    For those who don't know dyld is a dynamic library loader/injector, MobileSubstrate uses this method to dynamically insert/inject libraries into running apps. That's how My3G works, MobileSubstrate is used to insert My3G's dylib (dynamic library) into applications so it can override requests for Wifi vs 3G. (Read more about dyld and MobileSubstrate)

I didn't want to uninstall MobileSubstrate but I tried uninstalling My3G and it worked! Apps no longer crash with Spire installed!

tl;dr; version:
    Anyone having this crashing issue, try uninstalling My3G if you have that installed.
    If you don't then I guess you can slowly try to uninstall Cydia apps/extensions that rely on MobileSubstrate. Also you can try to install Crash Reporter from Cydia, dig through the logs and see if any of your Cydia apps/extensions show up on the list and act accordingly.

[edit] Now if I could only convince my gf to let me jailbreak her 4S and let me run it through my proxy then I'll be all set! :D

6. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Well, I just tried uninstalling 3Gunretsrictor, but still no joy. Apps crash to springboard.

7. aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

Look into some other tweaks that use MobileSubstrate. Someone in another forum got it working after removing SBSettings.

May not be even worth it for some of you, setting up that proxy and getting a valid key in there is a huge undertaking.

8. Klasniedryg macrumors newbie

Has anyone figured out a way to fix this? I tried to rejailbreak the phone 5 time and nothing works. apps keep crashing after spire app is installed. Help!!!

9. jpborjas macrumors newbie

Remove SBSettings and Reinstall it

That worked for me. All kinds of apps were crashing, but they work now. I think My3G is the culprit. I sent them a crash report, and I'm not installing it until I hear back from them.

10. casonbden macrumors newbie

Temporary Fix

Launch into Safe Mode with SBSettings or the sort. Apps work again, but stop working again when you respring. Hope this helps!

11. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Have you heard anything yet? I've sent Chpwn an email about it twice, but he's never replied to me.

12. Dummonger macrumors newbie

I just want to say BklnKid's fix worked for me (uninstalling My3G). Thanks BrklnKid!

13. casonbden macrumors newbie

Like i said, apps work when in Safe Mode. try it

14. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

So your suggestion would be to just keep the phone in safe mode?

----------

So, are you able to re-install my3G after installing spire? Or can you just not use My3G anymore? I could do that, but I like being able to use Facetime on 3G.

15. kitkat980 macrumors newbie

Hey just want to help some people if i can :)

If any of you cant get you FB, twitter, angry birds etc from opening check if you have the cydia tweak Anyring. if its installed it wont work with Spire properly. I removed it and all my apps were working again. :)

16. techtim macrumors newbie

This Worked

Uninstall Spire then Re-jailbreak your phone with redsn0w 0.9.10b4 then reinstall Spire. The apps should work... Or you can do it the old way and boot tethered for both Spire and App Store apps to cooperate with eachother.

Windows: redsn0w_win_0.9.10b4.zip
    Mac: redsn0w_mac_0.9.10b4.zip

17. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

Spire and My3G seems to be the only remaining problem, even after installing the latest jailbreak. Guess we can hope that either developer puts out an update to remedy the situation.

18. AdustLink Valo macrumors newbie

tweaks that broke apps

i had the same problem, i installed spire and i cant launch my apps, i have to delete every tweak of mobilesubstrate and install them again one by one, i have found 2 tweaks that dont work with spire, anyring ans SMS+, so if any of you have one or both of these tweaks, delete them, and problem solved

19. runnerboy516 macrumors newbie

same fix here! got rid of My3G and after an initial lag, it loaded! Thanks!!

20. zach12592 macrumors newbie

I found a fix without uninstalling Spire. This worked for me. Go to the app store and get this free app called IM + Pro. You don't need to sign in or anything but just have it open. Now skype will work. if you double click the home button and get rid of the IM + Pro process then skype won't work. So make sure to keep it running. That's how I got Skype to work. Let me know if this works for you

21. sneezymarble macrumors 6502

I'm still haven't trouble with Spire installed. Facebook and a few other apps won't start. I uninstalled My3G, but that didn't resolve the issue.

22. sneezymarble macrumors 6502

For anyone having the same problem, I re-jailbroke my phone using redsn0w 0.9.10b5 and all the apps I was having a problem with work fine now with Spire installed.

23. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

BklynKid, thanks! I had the same issue,muninstalled My3G, and all is better again. :)

24. fpena, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012

fpena macrumors newbie

May I run the new jailbreak over an existing jailbreak? I heard something about unmark "Install Cydia" and run the jailbreak without even restore the device.

EDIT: for everyone having issues with crashing apps. No need to remove spire. Just install Corona (cydia) and everything is fixed! Worked for me.

25. 4 enohpi macrumors newbie

Guys...Try this...go into SBSettings-->MobileSubstrate Add-ons -->Disable 3GUnrestrictor/Zeppelin/my3G - any of these if you have them installed. You DO NOT HAVE TO uninstall them :) Try it, works perfectly. You apps will not crash after that anymore.