Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Christian Bale is to play rebel leader John Connor in three sequels to the Terminator franchise, its producers have revealed.

The Welsh-born star, who is soon to be seen in Batman Begins sequel The Dark Knight, has already started shooting the first of those films, Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins.

"He's really an actor's actor, so we're very proud," said Victor Kubicek of film company Halcyon.

Charlie's Angels director McG is directing the new film, which is due to be released on 22 May 2009.
BBC.

Errrr, cool, I guess? I like Christian Bale, always seems to put his all in to roles. Hopefully they can come up with some good scripts, and can drag Arnie in to doing some cameos :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The guy who directed Charlie's Angels with the really bad Hollywood name, McG or whatever, is really really really bad at directing. Why choose a good actor and a bad director?

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
I've only seen the Cameron Terminator movies...can't say I'm really interested in any others; as far as I'm concerned they don't exist. ;) It worked fine as a duology...there was no need to extend the series past the second, and nothing good can come of it.... (Sort of like the Alien movies, actually.)

--Eric

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
T-3 was good, and without knowing a single thing about any of these next planned films I don't see how you can write them off this early on.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I quite liked the firs Terminator films and I'm hoping the new trilogy doesn't follow Star Wars. Oh deary me.
But seriously Christian Bale seems like the guy for the job.

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
T-3 was good, and without knowing a single thing about any of these next planned films I don't see how you can write them off this early on.

T3 was perfectly watchable but didn't really add anything to the previous films in plot/character terms. As for the next three... you're right... we'll just have to wait and see.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Gotta say e, this sounds like a career-killer. Unless they get Ron Moore to do it, I don't see how resurrecting a dead franchise as bad as the Terminator is going to be good. Of course, one never knows.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
While I think that a set of Terminator movies might be a good idea (if done correctly), I think it would be a bad idea to be participating in more than one franchise at the same time. Is he scheduled to be in any more Batman films?

Unless they get Ron Moore to do it, I don't see how resurrecting a dead franchise as bad as the Terminator is going to be good. Of course, one never knows.

The current resurrection seems to be doing reasonably well on Fox at the moment. ;)

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
The guy who directed Charlie's Angels with the really bad Hollywood name, McG or whatever, is really really really bad at directing. Why choose a good actor and a bad director?

well, it worked for the 3 'new' star wars....
waitta sec.
no i didn't.

as much as I love George Lucas for his visionary abilities, his skills as a director result in wooden movies.

i hope that doesn't happen to the terminator series b/c it's an interesting story.
i wonder if they'll tie it into the tv show?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
well the terminator franchise isn't dead. there was the tv series this past year, which while not the best, ended up being pretty much 'okay' in my book.

the concept and idea has potential as long as the writing is good.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004

Because the concept was taken care of by the first two movies. There's nothing more worthwhile that can be added, and besides, they need a decent director. A lot of good storytelling is knowing when to bring things to a close; much better to spend the energy on something new instead of endlessly rehashing a series that doesn't need it. There are some open-ended concepts that can continue for a long time, but Terminator ain't one of them.....

--Eric

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
well the terminator franchise isn't dead. there was the tv series this past year, which while not the best, ended up being pretty much 'okay' in my book.

the concept and idea has potential as long as the writing is good.

Saw the show once. It was horrible. Just because it's still on, doesn't mean it's good.

Because the concept was taken care of by the first two movies. There's nothing more worthwhile that can be added, and besides, they need a decent director. A lot of good storytelling is knowing when to bring things to a close; much better to spend the energy on something new instead of endlessly rehashing a series that doesn't need it. There are some open-ended concepts that can continue for a long time, but Terminator ain't one of them.....

--Eric

Thank you. Well said.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Saw the show once. It was horrible. Just because it's still on, doesn't mean it's good.

some of the first shows were very bad, yes. but it got much better in terms of plot (and some of the acting) as the show went on. its not for everyone.

i think its probably just going to be a futuristic movie with the backdrop setting of termanator, but really just be humans against robots. ie: after 'judgement day' and surviving.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.