Christmas Gift: 1G 16GB Touch or 2G 8GB Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Val-kyrie, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

I am planning to purchase an iPod Touch for Christmas this year. The Touch will primarily be used as a PDA. Battery life is a priority and capacity is nice. Gaming is not really a priority, though an occasional movie might be watched on it.

I have read some of the threads on the 2G iPod Touch and am somewhat concerned about the battery life of the new device. I also don't know if there is a difference in Wi-Fi reception between the generations. I do know the 1G has a lower clocked processor, but I am not sure that would affect its primary use.

The debate between a 1G 16GB and a 2G 8GB is based purely on price. I would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

The 2G does have more of a processor than the 1G.
    There is no difference in WiFi reception.
    Batter life on the 2G is much better.
    I think one of the reasons people are complaining about battery life is because they are excited about the games and have been playing loads of those so the battery is dead within the hour.
    If it's going to primarily be used as a PDA then space most likely won't be an issue.
    Basically the 8GB 2G would be your best bet.

If you're getting this for yourself I would recommend waiting until after MacWorld 2009 which takes place in early January.
    A 64GB model is expected to be released but I'm unclear as to what that would do to the line up.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Why a 1G 16GB? The new 2G 16GB is the exact same price that the 1G 8GB was -- you basically get twice the capacity, the volume controls and the speaker for no extra price.

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

how reliable is that rumor of a 64GB touch at Macworld? source? I was planning an imminent purchase this Christmas for myself, but if there's a 64GB touch coming a month later, i'll wait.:cool:

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

If he gets a 1G it will most likely be a refurb.
    16GB 1G iPod touch - $219
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FA627LL/B?mco=MTkwNzI
    8GB 2G iPod touch - $229
    16GB 2G iPod touch - $299
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/ho...cmp=AIC-WWW-NAUS-BUYNOW-HEAD-IPODTOUCH-080910

As you can see there is an $80 price difference between the 16GB 1G and the 16GB 2G but only a $10 difference between the 16GB 1G and 8GB 2G.
    OWND

6. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Pretty reliable actually.
    February is right when the 32GB iPod touch was released last year.
    And I the 32GB was announced last MacWorld.
    It's called a cycle.
    Although, don't take my word for it.

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Nowhere in the OP's post did it say they were looking at a refurb and some stores still sell the 1G brand new.

iParis = OWND.

8. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Not really.
    I sort of thought of it as implied.
    And I said he is most likely looking for a refurb.
    Most likely ≠ will be
    There's a reason why I didn't say he is looking for a refurb.
    Why else would he not just get a 16GB 2G?

9. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

TS: Is this a gift or for yourself? If its a gift then definitely go for the 2G, mostly because the gift receiver may not understand what a refurb is and they'll think you're trying to pass off something used as new. Also they may want the extras that the 2G has.

If its for you then you have to decide whether you will get more use out of the external volume controls, Nike+ system, and microphone capabilities of the 2G or the extra space of the 1G. Decide what is best for you.

BTW The whole "OWND" thing is really childish.

10. Val-kyrie thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for all of the replies.

Yes I was looking at the refurb 1G 16GB vs the new 2G 8GB. I should have stated it. iParis' analysis is correct.

Yes it is a gift for myself.

I very well may wait until January to pick one up, but I probably won't hold out much past Feb 1, 09, to buy one. It would be nice if 16GB became the new low end in Jan., 09, because I would prefer 16GB but I really dont want to spend the almost $300 USD to get one in that capacity.

Thank you to all who replied (especially iParis).

11. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

No problem.
    I try to help as much as possible.
    ^_^

12. ZOMG macrumors newbie

You don't really need the 16 gig unless you want to keep a lot of movies on it for a long time. With the 8 gig you can keep several movies on it and anyway, once your done with a movie you can just take it off your ipod and download a new one.

You should get the 2g 8gig for sure because the 2g has speakers, external volume control, is faster, battery life, looks cooler and many more reasons.

The 2g 8gig is what I'm getting for christmas

13. iRyann macrumors regular

iRyann

God Bless Apple. But yeah i would go for 16GB 2G purely because of the points mentioned previously.

14. Nate025 macrumors regular

Ivan P = PWNED!!!

Aw come on...Someone had to say it! :rolleyes:

and I had nothing better to do, so...