Christmas Gift for Myself

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Epic Xbox Revie, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

For Christmas I received only cash. Family & friends did this because I tend to buy things whenever I want and I have a lot of things that I want. (Ex. Xbox, TV, Beats, Air, iphone, TB display, a handful of xbox games, etc etc etc)

In the spirit of Christmas, it almost feels wrong not having a physical item to say, "I got a ________ for Christmas." (Hope this makes sense.) Anyway, I am trying to find something to buy, and being the Apple owner I am, I thought: iPad. I also thought Kindle Fire. I also thought, Google Chromebook? (way out there) After these thoughts, I also realized: another one is coming out soon (iPad & MBA) I would like to trade up my MBA once the new ones come out. I would also like to have something that I can say I got for Christmas. I'm not sure if I would be happy with an iPad 2, seeing as I have a MBA, TB display, and an iPhone 4S. Also, I don't know how I would feel if the iPad 3 came out fairly soon.

So I bring to you my question: What would you do? Thanks, and Happy Holidays.

TLDR; What should a technology enthusiast spend his Christmas money on?

2. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

You can first buy the iPad 2 entry model, and save the rest of the cash. Then, when iPad gets updated (whenever that may be), you can sell the iPad 2 and use the entire cash to buy an iPad 3. That way, you will have an iPad 3 which still is a surrogate of the Christmas present, and you won't have to wait until the update to get an iPad.

3. donnaw macrumors 65816

I'm not trying to be snotty here but you could just save it. I mean is it really burning a hole in your pocket so you need to spend it right now?

Or, since you have pretty much everything you want, you could donate some of it to a food bank, shelter, etc. That's a gift that keeps on giving. That's probably a bit closer to the 'spirit of Christmas'.

4. okayjustin macrumors member

5. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I gave $500 in gifts to something similar already, sir.

6. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

I bought a BlackBerry Playbook for $99. that was a steal. its actually a great device.

I know most people will disagree with that but thats ok. I also have an iPad 1 so I'm not too worried about that.

Since you are an Apple fan I'd suggest you get an iPad but you probably should wait for the iPad 3 that will most likely be out in a few months.

7. volntitan macrumors 6502

I actually have an unopened iPad 2 that I got for Xmas because I'm debating if I should return it and wait for the 3 to come out. I have the original iPad and don't know what I should do.

8. BugBytes macrumors regular

I would get a current MBA- as long as I had the money. :)

9. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I already have one :rolleyes:

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Get a PS Vita next year. At least that's what I'm saving for, along with an iPad 3.

11. matttye macrumors 601

If you're not trying to be snotty then don't be.

Not sure why you felt the need to post something like that when you don't know the ops circumstances.

12. The 801 macrumors newbie

Go to the Apple store, and get a gift card. You then have spent the money, have an iPad 3 waiting in your pocket, and, as they say, anticipation is 7/10th of fulfillment.

May seem weird, but that's how I do it. Got an iPad 3 (32gig Wifi only) , and a Macbook air 15" just sitting in the drawer right now. When I get them, I will sell their older brothers and start in on an Apple TV.

13. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

Honesty, if you already have an iPad 1 I would return it for Apple Store credit and wait for the 3.

the gap between the iPad 1 and 2 isnt big enough so if its only 3 minths or so I'd really wait. I think you'll be disappointed when the 3 comes out if you switch now after waiting this long.

14. Zcott macrumors 68020

15. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

I actually caved and bought the 32 refurb last night. I'm basing my purchase off using it for school, and we start back on the 3rd, so I didn't want to have to make the move from paper to iPad in the middle of the semester. Also, I decided that if the iPad 3 is THAT much of a step up from the 2, then I'll sell the 2 and put that money towards a 3 (refurb is $100 off, so if I discount my price just a $100, it'll appear I'm selling for $200 of list). But, being that the rumors are a retina display, better cameras, and a faster processor, I don't know if that is enough for me to switch. It's not like the screen on the 2 is bad, or that it's slow (however the camera's kind of suck). But like I said, if it changes enough, I'll sell off the 2 and get the 3 eventually. I look at it as "renting" the ipad :)

16. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Smart move. Just put it on ebay for 1 cent and 7 days (make sure it ends in the evening) and sell it there. You would be surprised how much money you get for Apple products.

I sold my locked unmodified 3GS, used and abused 2.5 year old device, for $180. Almost made the upgrade to 4s free. If the 5 is a huge leap I am going to break my contract, sell the 4s, and get the 5...

17. BugBytes macrumors regular

oops. My bad. But if I didn't have one I would definitely get one.

EDIT: I think I would go for the iPad 3 once it came out.

18. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

Well, after weeks of contemplating, I ended up buying a refurbished iPad 16GB wifi. Was very apprehensive about buying refurb, but mine is absolutely perfect! I figure I live in the "here & now" so I am having fun with the iPad 2 now. If the iPad 3 is significantly different, I deal with that when it comes.

19. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

Good call, also good to hear as I ordered a refurb as well. I was a little hesitant being it was a refurb, but Apple has always taken care of me with any problems so I decided to go for it. Can't wait for mine to come! Hope you're enjoying yours.

20. Captain America macrumors 6502

I sold my 4S to get an iPad 2 32GB w/ WiFi (there's semi logical reasoning behind it, don't mind it).

What I'm getting at is iPad 2 is awesome.