Christmas gift! Help me with iPad 2 wireless keyboard

Discussion in 'iPad' started by classie787, Dec 17, 2011.

1. classie787 macrumors member

I am getting my brother, who owns an iPad 2, a wireless keyboard. I've seen a few models at Brookstone and Best Buy but don't know which is the best. I've looked online and found ones from Logitech and various other manufacturers.

Which is the best? What features should I be looking for? Should I get one that has a case and stand with it? I know next to nothing on this topic, so figured you guys could point me in the right direction. I have no problem spending $100 or so.

Thanks!

2. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

http://www.amazon.com/KHOMO-Leather...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324167524&sr=1-3

Saw this at the mall at a Kiosk the other day... it's FANTASTIC as a case and keyboard... the keys are actually solid plastic ones not those mushy silicone things that all the other case keyboards have. It's also removable so you can just carry it in the case. For 32 bucks it seems to be a steal unless the thing breaks within 6 months.

I also like this company's answer to the Smart Cover.

3. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

The easy answer to your question is to get the Apple Wireless Keyboard at about $70. It can be combined with the Incase Origami Workstation, a keyboard case that "unfolds" into a stand to hold both the keyboard and the iPad. That combo will bring your price to about $100 total.

A good alternative is the Logitech "Tablet Keyboard for iPad" available for $70 on the Logitech.com website. A very good keyboard that comes with a keyboard case that also supports the iPad. Total of $70.

At least as good a keyboard as either of those above is the Microsoft 6000 bluetooth portable keyboard available from Amazon for less than $35. However, it's a bit larger than either of the alternatives above and cannot be combined with a keyboard case. It's best to get a separate stand if you're going to go in that direction.

Then there are the multitude of combo iPad/keyboard cases. Zagg is probably the most popular. There are innumerable knockoffs, some for sale at places like Brookstone and online from Amazon affiliated vendors.

Many people like these. I don't. The keyboards are by necessity significantly smaller than the AWK, Logitech, or Microsoft since they have to fit into a case designed for an iPad. If your brother is used to a full size keyboard, he may find the cramped keyboards of these models to be a problem, especially if he has to move back and forth between keyboards.

I'm a professional writer and bang on a keyboard for many hours each day. So I'm a bigot/picky (choose one) about good keyboards. It's no trick to make a keyboard that lasts for a few months or a year under heavy use and then breaks down. It IS a trick to make one that is truly durable. Remember that a keyboard has MANY moving parts and once a single key breaks the keyboard is useless. For those reasons, I'd recommend sticking with Apple, Logitech, or the Microsoft keyboard cited above. I've used all three brands extensively (and others much less extensively because they lacked good feel or broke) and I'd recommend sticking with a manufacturer with a good track record.

4. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Yeah I'll second the apple wireless keyboard though... I'm more curious for a nice all in one solution like the one I posted a link to before though... even the reviews for it are all positive.

5. Munchkinsdad macrumors regular

Munchkinsdad

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

I'll third the Apple wireless keyboard. Cannot go wrong with it.

7. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Many people find the small size keyboards in cases such as the one you cited to be perfectly acceptable, especially if they aren't rapid touch typists. I'd only caution those who are heavy keyboard users and are accustomed to full size keyboards to be careful.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Buying someone a keyboard is like buying someone shoes without knowing their shoe size. There's a lot of variance from person to person on what keyboard works for them. If it were me, I'd ask your brother which keyboard he wants. If it has to be a surprise, make sure to get it from a place where it's returnable, and let him know you won't be offended if he exchanges it for something else that works better for him.

9. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Good advice. In that context Amazon is both extremely reliable in terms of returns and a good source for multiple brands.

10. fjanderson94 macrumors member

Same story

A couple of months ago I actually went threw the same thing. I wanted to purchase a wireless keyboard for my iPad because I wanted to try and use pages to write an essay for school. I did a lot of research and almost purchased the apple wireless keyboard however the apple keyboard lacks dedicated iPad buttons like home, safari, lock etc. I instead got a black wireless logitech keyboard for the iPad. It's not as pretty as the apple keyboard and is made out of plastic but I think it has higher functionality and is cheaper. The keyboard also comes with a case that doubles as an iPad stand. I purchased it from best buy and so far it's been great.

11. WillPwr macrumors newbie

FWIW, I just picked up the logitech tablet wireless keyboard and really like it. I was debating it and the apple wireless one...the logitech one won over becaue it comes with a case for the keyboard and turns into a stand for the ipad..and plus it was on sale at BB this past weekend too.

The Apple one is a bit taller, but narrower thank the logitech, but without a case, it was a bit awkward to carry with the ipad. Having the Logitech one that has its own case seems to be a bit easier to carry when carrying the ipad in its own case too.

I also opted for this route instead of a case with an integrated keyboard because I wont be using a keyboard for daily use and didnt want the extra weight and thickness.

Hope that helps...

12. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Took the words and the actual gift right out of my mouth.

13. taipan61 macrumors 6502

14. jojoba macrumors 68000