iPad Christmas iPad Gift Dilemma (Need your Help)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HeyGreggie, Dec 20, 2012.

1. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

So here's the pickle i'm in. I purchased the ipad 3 in June. We all know that the ipad 4 came out a month or so ago I guess... With the ipad mini.

The Christmas season is upon us and both my mother.. AND grandmother, want ipads. No issue. So I had the notion of giving my grandmother my ipad 3 (still like new, still have box, etc etc..) What I'll do clean it off a bit, put it in the box, wrap it up.. MERRY CHRISTMASSSS!). And I was going to get my mom the ipad 2 that I purchased via Fingerhut. I'm sure they couldn't tell the difference between the two.

But here's where it leaves me.. WITHOUT an ipad. :( I know. So I'm curious, should I get the 64gb ipad mini that is CURRENTLY out 64gb... or just wait until the RETINA version of the ipad mini comes out, and just deal with my iphone for now?

I dont want to be a grinch, so I'm giving people what they want, even if it leaves me without. I'm fine with this. Someone please help me out. Thanks again

2. SnowLeopard OSX macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

Neither. You should get an iPad 4 with retina display. Finding an iPad mini in any electronic retailer at this time, including Apple, is pretty much next to impossible. You might have better luck after the holidays, though.

3. HeyGreggie thread starter macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Well I currently have the retina ipad 3 32gb, so I wouldnt need it, yet I dont want to pay to get my mother or grandmother an ipad 4 for the retina (which they wont recognize). And I've been told neither like the ipad mini (grandma for obvious reasons being smaller text).

Me personally Im out and about with my ipad 3, and would miss it, but it'd be nice if it were smaller (ipad mini).. but it seems like a retina ipad would be the only logical way to go. I'm going to ttempt to practice patience and wait for retina, but my wallet is like "buy yourself an ipad".. Its ROUGH trying to watch netflix on my iphone 5 lol.

4. luqtotheman macrumors regular

First off, good for you! Giving spirit.

I am torn between the ipad mini and retina. The retina is so beautiful especially animation movies or beautiful websites and a large screen that lasts around 8-10 hours. The con is the weight if you're going to be doing heavy reading or holding for extended period of time. I know it sounds silly but try using both devices for a extended of time (1-2 hrs + straight) and you'll see what I mean.

The ipad mini is very portable and light. It feels like a E-reader with the functions of a tablet. Using my iphone 5 and retina ipad before its hard to down grade that resolution and screen real estate (with respect to the ipad). Browsing many sites you will be forced to pinch and rotate to get all the content while the ipad 4 you won't need to majority of the time.

It's really a toss up for what you value more in your devices, but I am stuck in between both so I will hold off for until I know for sure.

5. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

my mom couldnt tell diff btw Ipad 2 and 3 apart from the extreme heat on the back panel.

6. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

I have an iPad 4 and picked up a mini today...I prefer the mini...the screen is not retina but still looks great

7. yinz macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't the sharper screen be better for the eyes of an old lady?