Christmas just been...Money to Spend... what on?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Josh Kahane, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Josh Kahane macrumors 6502

Hi

So Christmas has passed and I'm sure many of us have a little cash in our pockets to burn. I'm out to the sales on monday, I would appreciate it if anyone could recommend some really good extras/accessories for my mac or anything that I can use with it.

Start recommending... (thanks.)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. Josh Kahane thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the satndard boring stuff... USB hub, external HD, 2.1 speakers, router, keyboard and mouse. :)

4. Island Roots macrumors regular

I don't know about the UK, but in the Unites States, a lot of the after-Christmas sales end today. So you may want to do some shopping online today.

That being said, this season may see abnormally prolonged sales throughout the year due to the poor holiday sales retailers have seen thus far.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...it ain't sexy or exciting but having a good software utility package is a good idea. Most people don't think about them until it's too late and then they panic. Diskwarrior is one that's good for the toolbox, or TechTool Pro maybe (I think they still have the deal on v4.5 that gets you a free copy of v5 that's (over)due now....oh yeah!

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

In my mind, most people would find that the best use of money would be an external drive (or more as needed) to dedicate solely to backing up their systems!

There are FAR too many stories on this forum and most others of people panicking when their HDs fail to startup, start making weird noises in the act of dying, etc. and having NO type of backup. Backing up is way too often an afterthought! :(

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Wonderful idea! :D

8. Josh Kahane thread starter macrumors 6502

Well with my external HD I have just partitioned it so that one part can backup my mac, while the other holds anything i haven't got space for on my internal HD.

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

So what backs up the data moved from your internal? If you are putting a backup of it on the same drive, that is putting all your eggs in one basket- if the drive dies then the data dies and your backup of it dies! :( That is why, with the cost of external drives so relatively low now, that I will always propose a dedicated backup drive! ;)

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

It also beats the pants off using optical media. :D :p

11. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

What about a point-and-shoot camcorder, if you are a fan of YouTube that is! The Flip Mino is really nice, pocket-sized and very reasonably priced!

What about putting some money towards an upgrade, for example some RAM if you haven't maxed it out already!

Otherwise, what about an AirPort device, the Express to stream your tunes to your speakers, or an AEBS or Time Capsule to wirelessly back-up, share hard drives and printers.

Hope this helps... happy spending!

12. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

MobileMe, Office for Mac, iWork, Aperture 2, Spore.........