Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Let's just say there was a strand that was not lit and after several attempts to replace the blown bulb, multiple trips to the store, and a spreained neck, Christmas lights suck. :mad:

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
They're so pretty once you finally get them up. You may feel like a Griswald in the process, but we've all been there. Hopefully you test them on the ground before putting them up. :)

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
They're so pretty once you finally get them up. You may feel like a Griswald in the process, but we've all been there. Hopefully you test them on the ground before putting them up. :)

Yea they do look nice. We just bought new ones instead of tryin to find the crapped out bulb, or whatever it was. I tried replacin' the fuse also, but that didn't do anythin'. We got blue icicle lights now in stead of the white. They look ok. I think the white ones look better. Although my mom say she liked the blue better. They looked cooler on the box (but they always do :rolleyes: )

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
The whole Christmas light segment in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation makes me crack up laughing every single time. Hilarious because it's so true. My neighbor has left a strand of lights on one of the trees outside his house for the past like 5 years. (Granted he also has gotten complaints from the neighborhood because of the rusting crap he keeps in his back yard, but that's another story. ;) )

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
The whole Christmas light segment in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation makes me crack up laughing every single time. Hilarious because it's so true. My neighbor has left a strand of lights on one of the trees outside his house for the past like 5 years. (Granted he also has gotten complaints from the neighborhood because of the rusting crap he keeps in his back yard, but that's another story. ;) )
It's on TBS right now. I laugh every time I see the Christmas lights fiasco.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
And there's another thing that pisses me off. Do you guys know if there are extension cords for Christmas lights? I've been lookin' everywhere. All the outdoor extension cords I've found have a grounder, or have the small, big prong thing goin'. Which doesn't work for Christmas lights since they all have small prongs, male and female side. It doesn't make freakin sense. I gotta turn it on in 2 places which just pisses me off.

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
I thought that video was edited. If one guy did do that. Props to him.

There's a few people that are in on this. Thread Link

There's a program that will do it for you. Hook the lights up, connect em to your computer, and choose when you want what lights to light up. Sure its a long process, but it pays off. :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

Who cares about Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer when you can see a Christmas tree go up in smoke and another crash through a window? :D

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Which doesn't work for Christmas lights since they all have small prongs, male and female side. It doesn't make freakin sense. I gotta turn it on in 2 places which just pisses me off.
:confused: the unpolarized plugs (small prongs guys) fit in any polarized (or "small, big prong thing"). So, I guess you're trying to go from one section to another with an extension cord? (i.e. trying to plug the cord into a string of lights...). It bothers me to no end when I find a string of lights that either won't accept a polarized (but ungrounded) plug or that just doesn't have a plug on the other end for hooking up the next string of lights. GRR.

If turning the light on in two places bothers you, you really should consider keeping the lights on separate circuits and just invest $30 in a pair of timers, one for each of the branches of the lights, so you don't have to manually turn them on and off.

My outdoor timer is my friend from October to January:p

B

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
:confused: the unpolarized plugs (small prongs guys) fit in any polarized (or "small, big prong thing"). So, I guess you're trying to go from one section to another with an extension cord? (i.e. trying to plug the cord into a string of lights...). It bothers me to no end when I find a string of lights that either won't accept a polarized (but ungrounded) plug or that just doesn't have a plug on the other end for hooking up the next string of lights. GRR.

If turning the light on in two places bothers you, you really should consider keeping the lights on separate circuits and just invest $30 in a pair of timers, one for each of the branches of the lights, so you don't have to manually turn them on and off.

My outdoor timer is my friend from October to January:p

B

Yea that's what I meant, connecting 2 sets of lights. I think I just might buy a short strand of lights and take out the bulbs. That's the easiest solution I can think of. I already have one timer, I don't really want to buy another one, but I guess that's also an option. It just pisses me off that they can't make an extension cord that can connect 2 sets of lights.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Yea that's what I meant, connecting 2 sets of lights. I think I just might buy a short strand of lights and take out the bulbs. That's the easiest solution I can think of. I already have one timer, I don't really want to buy another one, but I guess that's also an option. It just pisses me off that they can't make an extension cord that can connect 2 sets of lights.

They do, they just haven't made them in 40 years...

I think you can get unpolarized plugs at Lowes/Home Depot/et al as well as wire. Assembling your own cord is easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.