Christmas Menu

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gutwrench, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

What will your meal look like? Are you hosting, cooking, traveling? Restaurant?

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 603

T'hain Esh Kelch

Duck, which is pretty common here for christmas meals, with white potatoes, sugar browned potatoes, pickled red cabbage, and gravy made from the duck. And then ris a la mande for dessert, which is also a normal thing here.

Edit: Celebrating with my mom for once, instead of my girlfriends mom. The former doesn't care about christmas, while the latter does, so usually we just visit her. But this year my girlfriends moms boyfriends son is visiting them for christmas - And he's essentially a big talking narcissistic rectum, so we are not going down there to have a nice holiday ruined.

3. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

My grandmother used to make a delicious duck gravy. Yum!

4. GeraldBostock macrumors newbie

GeraldBostock

I am going to my aunt for Christmas where the meal will be the same french canadian traditional meal, as always :

Turkey (actually replaced in more recent years by excellent grain fed chicken)
    Pork Stew with meatballs
    Meatpie
    Mashed Potatoes

Plus usually a huge plate of cheeses & raisins & nuts, too many baskets of bread, some bowls of potato and macaroni salad. Then later in the evening some home made donuts.

5. decafjava macrumors 68040

decafjava

...and you won't need to eat anymore until February. :D Welcome to the forum!

Sounds scrumptious anyway!

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Our Christmas is usually pretty similar to our Thanksgiving. Sometimes we will have ham instead of turkey.

7. Lioness~, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018

Lioness~ macrumors 65816

The Christmas Menu here will be an intense Workshop of even more Ashtanga and suitable food for that.

Stopped celebrating Christmas, as people usually do, long time ago. Don’t miss it.
    Hanging with friends that I have more in common with, is much more fun.
    My own (birth) family is all dead btw. No relatives that I have anything in common with, as I know of either. Christmas stopped being fun after mom died, when I was 10.
    Tried partners Christmas gatherings too, pretty much the same awkwardness.

Christmas and all those holidays, is mostly putting up with collective patterns, and enduring it best one can. Of course, there’s happy families with more healthy patterns around holidays too. More and more I think. But they are in minority from what I noticed though.
    Fortunately more and more people chose to celibrate, or not, in alternative ways, from what is really true and loving for them. Any time of the year.

8. niploteksi macrumors regular

9. Scepticalscribe, Dec 19, 2018

Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Ooooh. A chill blast from the past.

Reminds me of W. C. Fields, who, when asked how he liked children, supposedly replied: "Fried."

10. Starship67 Suspended

Starship67

Prime Rib
    Mashed Potatoes
    Green Bean Casserole
    Yeast Rolls (homemade)
    Chocolate Meringue Pie (homemade)

11. RootBeerMan, Dec 19, 2018

RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Christmas dinner will be takeout Chinese. Steamed dumplings, beef lo mein, Mongolian beef, Mu Shu Pork, maybe some garlic beef. We'll see...

Solstice dinner, on the other hand, will be a beef ribeye roast, garlic mashed potatoes, gravy of some sort, perhaps roasted Brussels sprouts and a butternut squash pie (we prefer to use butternut over pumpkin. It's much more flavourful!).

12. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I'm not sure quite yet. Last year we had Cornish game hens cooked with lemon and rosemary and chestnut stuffing on the side, which was great. I imagine there will be something similar this year. I wanted to try pheasant, but I'm not sure where we'd get one :p Generally we have a meal similar to Thanksgiving, just with some of the items switched for alternatives (so a different bird, different pie, different type of stuffing, etc. but overall the same type of food).

13. Zenithal macrumors G3

I much prefer, and my memory of his words is poor, but Jonathan Swift once may have said it's best for the poor to give their babies away to the rich... to be eaten.

14. Tech198 macrumors G5

like crap,, if i cooked it ... I'd usually go over to friends places... Shame i'm not in the U.S otherwise i'd probably see what Blue Apron could do

15. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Never came across that particular quote from Swift, but the acerbic wit comes from precision of expression as much as what has been said.

16. decafjava macrumors 68040

decafjava

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Modest_Proposal

Rest assured fellow MR members, human children are not on my menu this Christmas, nor any other.

I don't actually know yet - my plans are up in the air as it were but something decadent for sure.

17. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

18. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Agreed.

For us, it will be something we are comfortable with cooking - i.e. relaxed cooking, nothing too demanding or stressful. This means that we do not allow tradition to rule if conforming to its dictates means you get stressed out.

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I have no idea. It only just now occurred to me that my family is staying put for Christmas day, and we don't generally cook a big meal for just the three of us. Restaurants will all be closed, so that's not an option.

20. GeraldBostock macrumors newbie

GeraldBostock

For those who go for whatever is traditional in their countries or families, do you do it because it's the tradition, or because it's the meals that you enjoy best for this occasion?

For me it's definitely because it's what we enjoy best.

21. Scepticalscribe, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018

Scepticalscribe

I think tradition is fine and can work well when everything else is in place and when everything is fine in your life; however, when there are additional stresses and strains, adhering to, or conforming to, tradition can be an additional source of stress and strain in itself - that, plus the 'emotional labour' of trying to ensure that everyone else's Christmas is happy.

Even in ideal conditions, personally, I find the traditional 'turkey' dinner of Christmas, to be very taxing on a cook; most houses don't have the sort of kitchen facilities that can handle that meal, and it is a difficult and demanding meal for the cook, - lots to do - and lots to get ready by a particular time - and not one that readily lends itself to relaxation.

In recent years, dealing with the challenges of my mother's dementia, we have pared those traditions to the bone, and jettisoned or discarded anything that gave rise to even the smallest amount of stress.

22. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

I have no menu plan yet. But there’s a traditional seasonal bread (kinda) I’ll make. It’s been in the family since we invaded America from Germany. Sorry about that Pearl Harbor thing. I don’t know what we were thinking. :(

23. decafjava macrumors 68040

decafjava

I shall eat stollen cake (if that's what you mean) in revenge!!

24. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Technically a bread. ;)

But our Christmas is not complete without some home baked stollen.

Here's a pic of last year's batch early on Christmas Eve.

Stollen.jpg

25. Scepticalscribe, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018

Scepticalscribe

But a very tasty one, and one that I wouldn't turn down were it to be offered to me.