Christmas Present Conundrum

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sully151, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Sully151 macrumors newbie

So my folks were very generous and gave me a 13 inch rMBP for Christmas. It is 2.6 Ghz, 512, with 8 gig.

They went to the Apple store with the intention of getting one with 16 gig, but found out that it was a custom build and wouldn't be in before Christmas.

My Mom said if I really wanted/needed the 16 gig and could wait, I could take it back an get it and she would cover the cost.

I use my computer for Aperture, Final Draft and some video editing along with all of the normal day to day tasks.

I will also be purchasing an imac in the next few months or I might just get an external monitor depending on what the rest of the families uses become.

So, if it was up to you and the $ or wait wernen't an issue, would you make the jump to 16 or is it overkill for now and in the future

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think 8GB is more then enough, and I'd not worry about it - just my $.02.

3. bgro macrumors 6502a

get the 16 if you're planning on keeping it for awhile

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

5. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

I'm surprised people are replying without asking for more information.

How long do you plan to keep this machine?

I'm guessing you're a teenager; how many years off is college?

How intense is that video editing stuff you're doing? Casual, or quasi-serious?

6. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

why not put the ram in yourself and save a ton of money? nice parents btw

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because retina MBPs have their ram soldered onto the logic board.

The OP needs to return that computer and buy another with 16GB

8. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Because it's impossible for the computer he has.

9. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

then don't waste your money, 8 gb of ram is more than enough. I am telling you now, don't waste your parents money over gearlust

10. Sully151 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha, I wish I was a teenager, I would be a much better rock climber, but alas, I am actually married with kids. I am just still very close to my parents and we as a family take Christmas and gift giving to the limit every year.

I do keep my computers and devices for quite a while. The iMac I currently have is from late 2006 or 2007. It is on its last legs. I am also still using an iPhone 4. I have yet to even meet Siri. So this computer will be with me for a while.

I am the Artistic Director of a theater company and we are looking into more mixed media use (video, photos and live theater together) the need for video editing will increase.

We are also in the process of producing a series of video shorts. Some about the theater and others will be scripted narrative based pieces.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is a real point of diminishing returns after 8GB. Give this test a look.

12. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

That'll teach me to assume. :) Very cool that you and the family are so into gift giving. That's awesome.

Based on what you said, I'd go with the 16GB. I don't generally treat this as blanket advice, and there are many people I'd advise to be content with 8GB, as it will last them a while. Based on what you're doing and how you use your machines, it's not a huge premium price-wise to buy you a bit of extra time. (For people who enjoy upgrading more frequently, going with base models tends to be more cost-effective...but I don't get the impression "cost-effective" is the most important buying criterion for you.)

13. B... macrumors 68000

B...

I concur with john123. Take the 16GB just to be as safe as possible for the future.

14. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

I say go for the 16gb if you see any problems with the system such as yellow spots, image retention, etc. otherwise keep it.