Christmas Present for My Brother Help, Please!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tedrjr03, Dec 5, 2008.

1. tedrjr03 macrumors regular

tedrjr03

I work a at second hand store and we receive computers often, well im only 17 so I don't have a lot of money.

My older brother has wanted a laptop for a while and I have come across one. Although I couldn't use a P.C., he does not mind at all and all he does is web surfing and some itunes.

I have come across a Acer 3000 Laptop for $85.00, these are the following stats:
    Processor: AMD Mobile Sempron (1.8 GHz)
    RAM installed: 256 MB DDR SDRAM
    40 GB Hard drive

I know the ram is very low but i can upgrade it to 2 gigs for less than $30 and the hard drive relatively cheap also,

My Question is do you all think that this is a good buy?
    Thanks any help would be appreciated.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

You can check "completed sales" on ebay for a rough idea of its worth.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

4. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

$85 seems like a lot of money to spend on someone when you're only 17. I don't spend that much on anyone unless carried me around in their womb or they wear a wedding ring. You must be close to your brother. I'd think that $20-30 would buy a good enough gift.

5. kolax macrumors G3

For what he does, surfing the web and iTunes, that'll be fine.

Upgrading the RAM is a must though - 1GiB would be plenty what he does. As for the hard drive, depending on the size of his iTunes Library, 40GiB might be enough.

No warranty though (unless you do a 3-month thing at your store), but for that price, if it breaks after 6 months, it's still been worth the money!