Christmas present for wife: MBP 13" vs 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by praetorx, Dec 3, 2011.

1. praetorx macrumors regular

Christmas is knocking on the door and I'm still debating on getting the 13" MBP or 15" for my wife but I'm not set on either.

She's isn't too crazy about laptops but craves at Apple ever since I got my first MPB last year. This being said, I'd like to get her one for Christmas.

Now, I'd like to go for the 13" because it's cheaper but she might find the resolution too low (she's used with her company provided 15" HP elitebook which has a hi-res screen).

I want to know how "bad" the resolution on the 13" is. I never had a computer with a screen that small so I don't have anything to compare with. Should I get her the 15" with hi-res instead? The money is not an impediment but if there's no big difference then I'd like to save the cash for something else (maybe accessories?)

She will be using it mostly to surf the web, listen to music and occasional movies when we're on the go but no gaming.

2. brentsg macrumors 68040

I don't think anyone can help you with the resolution. People who like it will say as much and people that don't will head that way.

It is a personal thing that depends on your needs and your vision.

3. praetorx thread starter macrumors regular

That's ok, various opinions is what I'm looking for. I can't ask my wife because she'll get suspicous.

4. Go Blue macrumors newbie

My Opinion

I recently switched to a 15" Macbook Pro from the 13" and the High-Res Anti-glare makes a HUGE difference. The 13" doesn't have bad resolution, but the 15" is far better. Also, you can use the computer in sunlight as there is no glare or reflection. So if money isn't a big issue, definatley go with the 15" High Res Antiglare.

P.S. I also recomend and incase laptop sleve or hardshell case.

Hope this Helped!

5. Wavell macrumors regular

Wavell

.. just a thought, but if all she's looking to do is surf the web, email, the odd movie etc and you think resolution may be an issue then you may want to look at a 13" macbook air instead - that way you get the resolution and a smaller screen size (and I believe it's cheaper too) :)

6. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

+1.

Go for a 13" Air for now. A 15" Air when it is out will be a good upgrade.

7. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

If we are talking about 13in mac computer, maybe consider the 13in air. Otherwise, I'd go with the 15in highres screen.

8. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

mhmm im agree with the MBA people.
    Your wife doesn't seem to do that much "intensive work" but i think you should get her a 13" MBA and max out the RAM :) [or at least 4 GB]

it's lighter, higher resolution [then the MBP 13"] and it's sleek design is much better then MBP's. and you get an SSD :)

9. willieva macrumors 6502

Why not an iPad? It sounds like that would be a better option for what she wants to do. Lighter, better battery life, doesn't get hot, and it's always ready to go when you need it.

10. praetorx thread starter macrumors regular

She hates the lack of a physical keyboard :D
    Thanks for all replies, I might get her the MBA after all...

11. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    Definitely look into the 13" Air. Footprint of a 13" but the resolution of the 15". Best of both worlds.

12. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Uh, no, it's not. It's more expensive, and requires you to pay more to get less.

Also, the MBP has a higher-quality screen and is easier to work on for long periods - it has superior color gamut and accuracy, and isn't as fatiguing. The Air, while offering higher resolution, has a washed-out quality.

Also, the Pro allows you to upgrade RAM and the hard drive, while the Air does not. The Pro is also less expensive than a 13" Air.

13. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

I went from a MBP 13 to a MBP 15 w/ hi-res 2 months ago. For most things the MBP was fine. For surfing and most word processing it was fine. My problem was using Xcode, running Windows in Virtual Box and gaming.

I would think that the MBP 13 is probably fine. If you have doubts I would go with the 15. You are usually better off buying a little too much machine than buying a little. Nothing is worse than sending a lot of money and still feel like you are missing something.

As for the MBA comments. The MBA 13 is only $100 more but has a higher res display, much faster SSD drive but slower CPU, no DVD drive and less HD space. The MBA 13 has a higher res display than the MBP 13 but is cheaper than the MBP 15. Again, if you really have doubts get the MBP 15.

One other note. My late 2011 MBP 15 (2.4 i7, 8 GB, 6770m, hi res) has about half the battery life of my 2010 MBP 13. Seriously, about half. I could get 5 - 6 hours on the MBP 13 when it was new. The MBP 15 gets 2 - 2.5 hours on a charge. I don't know if that matters.

Bottom line, I think a MBP 13 would be fine but it's hard to find much wrong with the MBP 15.. other than the price.