Christmas Present: Touch vs. Nintendo DS

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bagelche, Dec 17, 2009.

1. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

So.. my kid's mom (we're separated) wants to get the DD a nintendo DS for Christmas--a present we'd split the cost of. I suggested a Touch as an alternative. She's open to whichever.

I'd be interested in your feedback on which way to go.

More info:
    Daughter is turning 9 in January. A number of her friends have DSes. She plays regularly with games on my iPhone and is familiar with a number of them as well as a variety of music apps. She has a 4G Sansa clip I got her last year as an mp3 player. She likes it and treats it well, but has misplaced it a couple of times (always at home).

A DS is ~$130 plus $10-20 per game. refurbed (it's fine) base Touch is $150 and $0-$5 per game (and I get 'em too)

Touch:
    - familiarity/already have a number of good games
    - games are a lot cheaper than DS games
    - shared programs on a common computer (mine)
    - a variety of uses (mp3 player, movies, web, email, weather, etc.)

DS:
    - networked gaming with friends (perhaps important?)
    - not tied to my computer (dual household compatible)
    - could borrow games, perhaps (but then no networked gaming I assume)
    - more pop culture kids games

2. boast macrumors 65816

boast

3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

The Touch wins in that area here. They aren't getting either this year - unless it's a Touch to share (i'm pondering that at the moment). I have funds to do part of that for them - i just need to decide if i'm spending part of MY birthday money on it. Mainly it's to get them to leave mine alone! LOL!!

I'm sure they'd still love it - but honestly, they have expressed more interest in the Touch at this point. Last year it was "DS this", "DS that" - they got Nano's and access to those games. That was the best decision at that time (they were 12, 9, 4 last Christmas), and if i had free reign of the Christmas purchases i would have gotten the oldest a Touch this year. Alas, my current nasty divorce isn't as.... something as where you are ;)

It's a tough call that really you can only make. What games does she have on her list for the DS? Can you duplicate the genre that she is interested in?

4. bagelche thread starter macrumors 6502

bagelche

Last year's talk was more DSish than what I've heard this year (none). I don't know that she has specific games in mind..more that what friends have, I want. I suspect she'd be thrilled by getting either.

As far as I can tell the only upsides to the DS are friend compatibility and household neutrality. I don't mean to belittle either with "only". In general parental relations are good (not the subject of this thread) so I don't think the fact that a Touch would be tied to my computer would be a deal breaker, but technology independence is a good thing.

I just checked my iTunes and I've downloaded 94 games and 58 music apps(!), most of them free (hooray for price discount RSS feeds), so that's a pretty good head start. She plays sudoku, mevo, hi how are you, lightbike, tanzen, and edge regularly--pretty much not product tie ins for the most part (as opposed to DS games which would probably be pretty heavy on movie/Disney/etc product tie ins).

I think by my ramble I'm leaning towards the Touch, but I'm wondering if there's something I'm not taking into account or weighting properly.

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I kinda have the same thoughts as you - i'm still waiting for the, "what am i missing" to kick in. We don't have the peer issue really, so that isn't factored in at all.

I can see the computer issue - as of right now that isn't an issue here, i'm the only one with a computer, and he still lives here. Heck, i'm trying to figure out when he's going to realize he won't be able to sync his iPod! LOL!! (i have to laugh). So that is something to consider - would it be a pain if she had to restore it for some reason? Would she be able to come by and do it without it being an issue?

Another plus though would be that there are no cartridges to leave at either house, or have laying around period (because, this happens with the GB Advance & Leapster cartridges here now). Everything comes with you. Same for being able to put movies on there and tote them between houses and watch them (mine do this with their Nano's on the TV with my dock).

LOL, i'm not really trying to talk you into it - but i know for me, it's what i would do. Heck, i even blogged about the very topic :D (ironically filed under, "ramblings"!)

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Forget the advantages/disadvantages. What does she want?

7. disambiguates macrumors newbie

I would absolutely go for the Nintendo. This one is a holiday edition with some built in games http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DSi-..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1261096819&sr=8-1

I think you have the prices wrong in your comparison.

DSi 169 (older model is 129 but does not play mp3s)
    Touch 199

Anyway I would recommend the DS because the ipod is more of a toy for adults. Glass screen, polished back, and delicate pin connection to the computer. Also you really need to have it paired to a computer for it to work properly. The ds is more rugged, the games are of much higher quality (basically you get what you pay for), and your daughter will have a blast if she has friends with a ds (mario kart is excellent with friends). It's just way more appropriate for a 9 year-old.

Also if your daughter is interested in drawing there is an excellent painting program and an animation program. Also camera and voice recording. There's not much in the way of productivity software for the ipod. It's really more for passively absorbing content (not always a bad thing, but still)

8. JAT macrumors 603

DS. We have both machines. And a 9 year old. (and 7 and 11) The kids have played and loved both devices.

Get a DS.

(although the Touch isn't as tied to one PC as other iPods)

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Agreed. Just ask her which she wants. A surprise isn't so pleasant if you get something you didn't want.

10. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Get the DS and a R4 card (google it) and the games suddenly become cheaper.

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Don't think it's a good idea to encourage piracy here.

12. reverend green macrumors newbie

reverend green

13. MikeTheRocker96 macrumors member

MikeTheRocker96

Ds All The Way!

As much as I love my iPod touch and I'm sure YOU love you're iPhone, I think a 9 year old girl would be happier with a DS for sure! Also, like you said SHE'S NINE, she would probably lose it or break it and she would not get the most out of it (jailbreaking!) Besides, she already has an new(ish) MP3 Player that likely has no more than 40 songs on it! It would be a waste to buy her an iPod!

14. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I'd go with ipod touch :p
    she won't be letting lay around the house. but a positive thing to look at this is, that you're able to find games that "you" think she'll like on your iphone and share it with her. :]

15. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I can assure you that my 5yo has more than 40 songs(more than on my touch) on her Nano, along with a boatload of movies (curious George & Barbie and the _______ ), and has only lost it for a week in her room. In fact I lost my video iPod for a longer period of time last year!

I just hate kids all being lumped together.

We had the DS conversation yesterday for the first time this holiday shopping season. Yes them iddle one still wants one, but I know for fact should would NOT be disappointed with a touch. For the record, she's getting neither, her dad decided she was moving up to a compound bow for archery. She will be stoked!

But only the op can decide that for his DD.

Oh, and I'm not jailbroken and manage to get all I need to out of my touch, so you can enjoy it without doing that!