Christmas presents for someone you've not known long?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TuffLuffJimmy, Dec 17, 2008.

1. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

So my question is, would you buy a christmas present for someone you've been dating for two weeks before Christmas?

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

When you say dating, how serious is it? I would probably just get something really small like a movie.

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Only if you plan to continue dating them.:p

But seriously, why not ask how they want to handle it? Good communication is the foundation of any strong relationship.

4. TuffLuffJimmy thread starter macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

hmm good point. I guess I just didn't want to talk about it, because I really don't like talking to people about Christmas presents, I like it to be a surprise that I even got them something. But I guess in this situation I'll have to change that tradition.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Excellent advice.

If you decide to forgo personal gifts, you could opt to treat yourselves to dinner and a movie, for example, with one of you covering dinner, and the other securing tickets (with dinner and movie selections remaining a surprise, or course).

6. ski2moro macrumors 6502

Coupon Book

Make a coupon book. Include gifts like 'Good for one car wash', 'Call me and I'll walk your dog in the rain', 'Good for one Back Rub', 'Redeem anytime for one bottle of Wine', "This is good for one movie night at my house, popcorn and box of candy included. Things like that. Make it as personal as you care to get.

If you break up, you haven't spent too much.

If you are looking for more time with your significant other, coupon redemption is a reason to get together.

And then we go back to my cousin who always broke up with his girlfriend right after Thanksgiving and got back together with her in late February. He avoided the dilemma of Christmas presents, her January Birthday and Valentine's Day. What a scum, you say? She liked him so much that they got married after 15 years of dating like that. They have 2 kids and a happy marriage. I am not advocating this method, but it worked for him.

7. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

When in doubt, give a gift card. Boring, I know but at least they can't complain about it. Just give him a $50 visa gift card. That way he can use it any where he goes. :)

8. TuffLuffJimmy thread starter macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

$50 bucks for someone I've been seeing for two weeks (this christmas) I think not. haha

9. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Okay... how 'bout $25?

EDIT: i just asked my sister and she says dont buy him anything if it's only been two weeks. Unless he's buying you something...:confused:

10. TuffLuffJimmy thread starter macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I was leaning the way of your sister

11. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

well then there you go. Problem solved. :)

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sounds to me like your mind is made up, though it wouldn't hurt to buy a little something, a trinket even. Have you two talked enough to know if there is something silly you can buy? For example, say they mentioned something like they like a certain beer, buy them a case of it. Or say they mentioned they liked a TV show a lot, buy them a season on DVD or something. Or they mention their sister barges in often because there's no lock on their door and you buy them a new door knob with a lock. ;)

It is small but rather personal because it shows you listen.

13. KyPosey macrumors regular

KyPosey

My gf and i were kinda in the same boat, we have only been dating since Dec 1, granted we've been talking for a bit longer but we just sat down and talked about how much we are going to spend. I think i bought her a watch (bc she complains about how hers is from an ex) and then a stuffed animal from her favorite movie.

Pay attention to the small things and in the end it will be more thoughtful.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

new audio CD's never go wrong. a girl will love you if the CD sends her the right messages in it!!

i say you talk to her, you simply cant beat that. work something out with her. me and my girlfriend make christmas about toys, and birthdays about meaningful gifts.. last year she bought me a RC car hahahaha. im thinking about getting her rollerblades :) lol...

15. KyPosey macrumors regular

KyPosey

Mix tapes thought can be deadly, be careful that you dont send the wrong message.
    :D

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes those are awsome!! however dont re-use one that someone else has mixed for you...

(like Chandler did on an episode of Friends.. baha that was priceless)

17. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

That's a really cute idea. :)

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I probably would, depends on how well you know them too.

19. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I've been in a similar situation more than once. The girl has always told me, she doesn't want an X-mas gift.

20. TuffLuffJimmy thread starter macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

it is, but it sounds like a lot of work and I did that for my dad one year so I think that would always be in the back of my mind.

fixed that for you ;)

21. djellison macrumors 68020

Go and see a play/musical/concert/gig together.

Doug

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd buy a bottle of wine and give it to her. Then I'd open it and drink it together with her.

Then I'd fondle her.

23. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Lol. Kinda reminds me of one time when.....except it wasn't wine, more like vodka, ha.

But I'm pretty sure TuffLuffJimmy is gay so what you said wouldn't work so well...unless you changed her to a him.

24. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

A gift to share

To be a little more personal than vouchers for services that you may provide, what about a selection of flavoured and novelty condoms. That'd make a good 'play safe' christmas.

KGB:)

25. TuffLuffJimmy thread starter macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

hmmm that's a good idea, and I have a few boxes sock drawers full of those and I could get a fun movie, too. That'll be a fun new years.