christmas [rant]

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yoyo5280, Dec 24, 2008.

1. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Now I feel like a Cow for making this thread.
    So I delete my whines, because I am blessed.

Thanks

2. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I think that's "electronic drumset," not "electric drumset."

3. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

I'm in a similar situation. For christmas I won't be getting anything totaling over a hundred dollars, however a friend will get a game consoles, games, clothing, gizmos, the list goes on. Does it other me, no.

Throughout the year the my parents will gladly pay for items that I need or they encourage. Not want, that I have to save for.

4. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Same. Usually I don't mind.

Now I feel bad for feeling rotten, my parents didn't need to get me squat.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Same. Well, either I pay or they pay. I'm still a student after all, despite the massive scholarship. ;)

In fact, I'm not even getting a present this year. At all. I can't complain though. I just bought a pair of boots for winter because I need them (I only own 1 other pair of regular shoes, and dress shoes), and a really fancy mobile phone that I probably don't deserve. I didn't need to wait until Christmas to get it. I'll get something when I need it, or really want it for myself. The freedom to do that is enough of a present for me. I don't need a present on one day. I need stuff all year long. :p

I'm not that big on "stuff", though.

6. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I don't even care about what I get for Christmas anymore.

I don't want anything really, I don't need anything either.'

There are a lot less fortunate people in the world than me.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I told people just that, and they understand, so nobody has bought me anything. My parents, my brother, etc.... My friends may get me something small, but that's OK, I guess.

However, I wouldn't mind if a friend bought me a beer the next time they saw me. ;)

8. phas3 macrumors 65816

just be happy you aren't in iraq or afghanistan right now, i spent two christmas' with my buddied in Iraq 2006 and 2007. And this year I am not able to spend christmas with my family either because I used the money for my plane ticket to give to my mom to help her out. Not trying to bash on you or anything but just be happy its the holidays.

9. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Thankyou. Your sooo right.

10. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

This thread really goes to show that for a lot of people, perhaps even the majority of people, Christmas is merely a greedy, materialistic time of the year. If you really want something, you should save for it and buy it, instead of expecting someone to give it all to you and getting mad when they don't.

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Same here, I am blessed and really don't need anything. At this point, I enjoy giving gifts to others (especially to those in need) more than in receiving gifts. :)

12. rumourguy macrumors member

I never get much for christmas, thats just the way it is, my family can't afford it. But I give big presents like a macbook to my mom and a GPS for brother and tons of toys for my niieces. I love it and it makes me feel better than getting things:D

13. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Yeah, my parents put me through school and helped me with a down payment on my first property, so I cut them some slack for 24 years of "lame" gifts when all my friends got new cars, computers, and game consoles...it comes around, trust me.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Enlightening, but not surprising.

Maybe that is a sign of age. I believe that one's perspective changes over time. When we are younger, material things mean more to us. As we get older that changes and the things we really want, no amount of money can buy them.

Agree. What a novel approach. :)

Personally, I feel very blessed on this Christmas day. And none of it has to do with the gifts I received.

Same here! :)

Awesome! :)

Nice story. It's so much fun to give rather than to receive.

Thank you for your service.

15. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

It boils down to being human. Even when the cavemen were around they wanted what others had. One guy had fire so the other guy was jealous and wanted it to, just wanted it, didn't want to do anything to get it, just wanted it.

I think it's part human nature part generational. Our parents wanted us to have what they didn't have type thing so it embeds a small sense of greed and jealousy. I struggle with those feelings as well that I want what someone else has but I don't think it is necessarily a bad emotion. You could think of it as having drive to save or work hard for the things you want. Just my 2 cents. :)

16. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

This is about where I'm at in life...I could go without anything at all. I'm just thankful for the good times my family shares during Christmas and New Year's.

17. haiggy macrumors 65816

i'm in the same boat, but after i think about it for a while i too realize that it is the material gifts that don't and shouldn't matter to me.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It makes me sad that Christmas has turned into this. :(
    Oh well, sorry OP and all who are jealous of others' good fortune. Why bother being jealous about something you cannot control? Get a job and buy what you want. Merry Christmas to those who don't care what is under the tree.

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would like to see my granddaughter's first Christmas
    Heck, I would like to see a pic of my granddaughter's first Christmas

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Awww :(

21. klymr macrumors 65816

My gifts this year are two books, "The Art of Looking Sideways" and "Marks of Excellence." I have felt better about life this Christmas than many of the ones in the past where I received more. I just feel blessed to be able to live another day. There were two people killed today in the mountains above my town. They died in an avalanche while riding snowmobiles. My friends dad was up there at the time and had to help find them and dig them out.

Here is an article about it. A 21 year old and a 23 year old. The 23 year old was a newly wed. Very sad Christmas for their friends and families.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good point!

Sad story.

Moral to the story, never cross or challenge Mother Nature as she will usually win.

23. klymr macrumors 65816

There were a lot of lucky people yesterday. Only two out of about 20 is pretty good, all things considered. The group ignored all the warnings of "extreme avalanche danger" and went in the back country anyway. That's flirting with death right there! Sad story. I wish their families well this day.

24. TSE macrumors 68030

Well I am 15 and this is what I got:

-chocolate
    -Under Armour baseball sunglasses
    -medicine ball
    -free weights
    -yoga mat
    -$35

...And, so far, nobody I know is in the hospital right now from doing something stupid on Christmas. Ever since I was 7 someone has had to go to the hospital on Christmas Eve/Christmas for doing something dumb. Last year I was running around and accidentally stepped on a knife. This was a good christmas. :D

25. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I guess so, stepping on a knife sounds a little painful (and not a great way to spend Christmas). :eek: