Chrome 70 Now Enables Picture-in-Picture by Default on macOS

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 19, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google Chrome now enables picture-in-picture as a default setting on Mac, Windows, and Linux computers as of Chrome 70. If you are up-to-date and watching a compatible video in the Chrome web browser, you can minimize it and continue browsing the web in other tabs, while the video keeps playing in a new miniature screen (via Android Police).

[​IMG]

The feature works similarly to Safari's implementation of PIP: on compatible websites you can two-finger click twice on a playing video to find "Picture in Picture." This will pause the video on the main tab, turn it black, and display the video in a new window that can be moved around anywhere on the screen.

PIP was previously in the Chrome 69 beta but it had to be manually enabled, so it appears that Google is making it easier for users to gain access to the feature with Chrome 70. PIP still isn't available on every video-playing website since it will have to be adopted by each site, but you can enable PIP with YouTube in Chrome on macOS starting today.

Article Link: Chrome 70 Now Enables Picture-in-Picture by Default on macOS

2. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

Why are they not using the built-in API's for PIP? It's a rather unappealing integration. For example, I can't put a video over a full-screen app.

3. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

They can even introduce browsing the interstellar internet for all I care, that evil is not gonna touch my Mac, ever again.

4. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

Would recommend not using Chrome, Google automatically signs you in on Chrome and doesn’t respect your privacy settings.

5. edgonzalez32 macrumors regular

6. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

It would be nice to get pip for Safari in Netflix - I don't want to use Safari for this feature!

7. AppleMad98004 macrumors 6502

8. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I own all Apple products but use google services regularly.

I use hangouts all the time which has to run through chrome on Mac.

I even updated my time capsule to google WiFi so I guess I got over my google and privacy concerns really quick.

I mean even our ISPs sell our data now a days. Millions and millions of google users out there and never a serious breach.

So I’m not as worried as others.

9. luvbug macrumors regular

luvbug

Oh boy, an update to another piece of Google Personal Spyware.

10. kuwxman macrumors 6502a

kuwxman

Imagine that. A Google related post and people ******** on the company. It got old a long time ago.

As someone who uses Chrome every day at work, this is a great addition!

11. rgeneral macrumors member

12. Virtual Steve macrumors member

Virtual Steve

There's a free Mac app called Friendly Streaming that lets you stream Netflix (and YouTube, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, twitch TV, HBO, ShowTime, etc.) in a standalone app without ever having to launch Safari. And it can be also be viewed in a PIP window while you're using other apps. I have no affiliation with the company or the developers - it's just something that I found because I was looking for a way to view Netflix and YouTube without having to use Safari.

It's available on the Mac App Store, if you're interested...

upload_2018-10-19_12-0-36.png

13. nutmac, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018

nutmac macrumors 68040

I certainly don't. Google fooled us more than once with privacy (Chrome sync, location history collection to name most recent examples).
    --- Post Merged, Oct 19, 2018 ---
    My problem with Google's stance on user privacy, such as recent Chrome and location history tracking fiascos, is that Google has time again, practiced dark patterns to collect more data. Google opts users in to tracking more data without any warning. For these violations, users needed go to settings and opt out (not always obvious either).

So maybe you are fine with what Google is doing now, but what about in the future?

The only saving grace is that Google does not share your information to advertisers (which Facebook is guilty of). But I am not sure I want Google to harvest email (Gmail), photos (Google Photos) and network traffic (Google WiFi, Chrome) to learn that much more about me in the interest of serving more relevant ads.

14. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 603

Mr. Retrofire

15. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Hey that's sweet I'll check it out!!

16. nutmac macrumors 68040

Used to be the case few years ago. Since then, it became bloated, non-native UI, and dark pattern features.

Still among the most compatible browser (and built-in Flash plug-in is useful) with better developer tools, however.

17. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

I’ve had PIP on the TB for a really long time already. Google is really late to the party.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 19, 2018 ---
    Not for the MBP. Safari is much lighter. The only thing that annoys me is their new implementation for extensions making something as simple as blocking ads a mess. I hope the new solution works as well once they totally kill off the old .extz that I still use.

18. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

My thoughts exactly. Don't like it? Don't use it and move on with your day.

I can only assume they are "like" hunters.

19. MrJeffreyGee macrumors regular

MrJeffreyGee

Love the PiP feature, but I switched away from Chrome.

20. Gnary macrumors newbie

21. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

From the article in the link:

"Buried within the settings menu of Chrome’s latest version is an option labeled “Allow Chrome sign-in,” which you can set to off if you’d rather not be automatically signed in to your Google account at the browser level. The problem, as VentureBeat notes, is that this process is opt-out rather than opt-in, meaning all Chrome users will be automatically signed into Google’s browser and likely uploading their sync data unless they specifically change this setting."

Brilliant. That's just sweet! You would almost think that Facebook and Google are owned by the same person, based on how they operate.

When they hide these options in the darkest corners of the settings window, you know that they do not want you to turn them off. But they still need to put them "somewhere", just so that they can say "hey, we gave people a choice".

22. ___joshuaturner macrumors newbie

___joshuaturner

Does anyone know if this persists across multiple desktops/spaces like Safari's PiP does?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 20, 2018 ---
    Anecdotal, but I've noticed on Safari content blockers using the new system are _much_ faster. Specifically Wipr from the App Store
    --- Post Merged, Oct 20, 2018 ---
    I just checked - it doesn't persist across desktops and it doesn't automatically set to a corner on quick drag.

I'm glad this is here, but in almost every way it's inferior to Safari's implementation.

23. Brandon-e macrumors newbie

24. ___joshuaturner macrumors newbie

___joshuaturner

Hopping onto this suggestion thread - if you're an Alfred user, I build an extension to use picture-in-picture on all html5 videos in Safari with the code "pip"

https://github.com/joshua-turner/alfred-video-controls