Chrome and multitouch gestures, etc.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vladobizik, Sep 1, 2012.

1. vladobizik macrumors 6502

I have been using Safari on my Mac ever since I had one (I'm around a two year old switcher) and on iOS even much longer and I'm a very happy camper. But I'm a big fan of the saying "satisfaction is the enemy of progress" so why not try something else?

I have been toying around with Chrome on my iPad for the last couple of months and I enjoy using it. I also use Chrome every time I'm forced to use a PC. I think it looks and works great and I also like its more comprehensive syncing compared to iCloud.

So I downloaded Chrome to my Mac, signed in, but the problem I'm facing now is that I've grown too accustomed with the Mac-specific features of Safari. I can live without the Mountain Lion share sheets and reading lists (Chrome has its own implementation of these anyway), but I really can't live without the gestures - on a trackpad as well as the Magic Mouse. I flick across history all the time - that's no problem, Chrome does it too, albeit not as nicely as Safari. But pinch to zoom doesn't work for me - pinching does zoom the page, but it's not smooth and natural at all and it looks like zooming in the 90s. I also hate that pinching in too far shrinks the page. Tap to smart zoom doesn't work at all.
    They may be more features I'd miss but this is all that comes to my mind at the moment.

So my question is - is there a way to make Chrome behave more like Safari, more Mac-like? Is there an extension for that, perhaps? Or does it simply mean that switching a browser goes hand in hand with having to learn its slightly different ways? Thanks a lot.

2. rien333 macrumors regular

You could try Better Touch tool, and then linking some gestures to the Keyboard shortcuts in Chrome, but I don't think that will restore all the functionality you want.