Chrome as default

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cclloyd, Jun 28, 2012.

1. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

Well, Google finally released Chrome. Any way to set it as the default browser? Can get annoying to have links open in safari, then have to paste into chrome.

2. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1307746

3. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

As you can see from the thread BumpyFlatline posted, we are waiting and hoping that the tweak Browser Changer which is available in Cydia will be updated to support Google Chrome.

4. ya1950 macrumors regular

Hot off the presses from Cydia:

BrowserChooser
    Repo: rpetri.ch/repo/
    :)

5. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

6. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Do you mean bookmarks you created?

Works fine for me when opening links in apps.

7. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

Yes, that's what I mean. I was half asleep when I posted that.

I have three folders full of bookmarks that I have to continue using Safari for.

8. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Reply from the dev of Browser Changer:

Submitted "Browser Changer" v1.8-2 to the BigBoss.
    Added support for Chrome, Photon, jigbrowser+, UC Browser, UC and UCHD.

9. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

It's okay buddy - this is the internet. You can literally say anything you want, haha.

No one else has love for Dolphin, though? I've heard Atomic was good, and have yet to try Chrome. Is the consensus here that it's worth ditching Dolphin for Chrome?

10. spotsphill macrumors regular

Maybe a dumb question but is there going to be much of a difference between BrowserChooser and Browser Changer? Browser Changer is the battle-tested veteran while BrowserChooser is the rookie, but they do the same simple thing. Seems like BrowserChooser just beat Browser Changer to the punch.

Anyone out there test them both yet?

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Browser preference is browser preference. Consensus is irrelevant. Use what you prefer.

12. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Oh is that how that works? Thanks!

Just looking for some objective opinions and some technical features that make some find one browser more desireable than another. Last I checked, you can still take the experience and opinions of others into account when making a decision.

As Ben Franklin said, "Experience is a dear teacher, and a fool will learn from no other".

Ease up there, champ.

13. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

I ditched Dolphin a couple weeks ago because I love Zephyr and those side panels were getting in my way or wouldn't work when I needed them to so often that it was literally driving me insane. I went back to Safari. I still have dolphin becuse it has a built in download feature that is fantastic! I have a bookmark in iFile for the downloads folder in dolphin. Being able to download anything on the web is a HUGE feature that I use all the time. Plus dolphin has full screen mode, built in rotation lock with quick enabling and disabling, and a built in user agent faker. Man if they just include a feature to disable those side panels I would never use another browser!

Having said all that, I am testing Chrome out now since people are raving about it. It lacks a built in download feature, no full screen mode and no user agent faker. Now obviously some or all of these things could come in future updates. Chrome for iOS does have the ability to sync with your desktop browser and that's great if you're reading an article and have to quickly leave your home. You can instantly pull it up on your iphone. And vice versa. But thats a feature I'll never use. Chrome definitely feels a bit quicker than safari but any speed increase I may get, we're talking milliseconds lol. Definitely under 1 or 2 seconds, so really, at that point I'm splitting hairs.

I still think dolphin is by far the absolute best browser out there for iOS except for people who heavily rely on Zephyr. I stopped using it as my daily browser but hopefully someday they add an option to remove those sliding panels on the side. But whenever I need to download something on the web, I always use dolphin. Then open iFile, tap the bookmark, and I'm staring at the file. From there I move it to where it needs to be depending if it's an image, music, video, document, etc. It's hard to argue against a free download manager built into an iOS browser on a jailbroken device. Very, very useful.

So for the next week or so I'll use Chrome as my main browser and see how it goes. But there is no way in hell I will delete Dolphin and replace it with chrome. That's my take! Hope it helps.

14. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Definitely - thanks! Just the info I was looking for on Chrome. I don't use Zephyr myself, so I'm alright w/ Dolphin as-is for now. I'll keep my eyes open for updates to Chrome since it sounds like the DL manager is the only thing keeping it from being as complete as Dolphin.

15. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

I wish apple would enable this functionality built into the iOS system.

16. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Nothing special about Chrome for iOS to make it "default" browser. In fact, Safari is much faster and with add-ons like AdBlocker + Full Screen...you can't get a better, smoother browser on the iPhone.

17. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I wish I could prevent any browser from reloading on open. Also, I tried Dolphin but it opens a new tab everytime I click a link. How do I stop that?

18. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

Is there a tweak to change the keyboard in the chrome app to be regular?

19. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

20. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

BrowserChooser was also updated to do this.

21. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Which one of these tweaks are you currently using to open 3rd party browsers?

22. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

BrowserChooser. I can't really say which is better but BrowserChooser has been working great so far.

23. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

you've used BrowserChanger as well? and is there a difference, or not really?

24. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I did briefly a while ago to make Atomic my browser and it also worked well. Just pick one and use it I'm sure they both work fine. BrowserChanger doesn't require adding another repo so maybe go with that :p