iPhone Chrome better than safari?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Deasnutz, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Deasnutz macrumors 6502

How is this possible? Did Apple screw people over with the 1GB of ram strategy? Am I holding it wrong? Does my phone have bad memory? Does my complaining make you emotional?

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Chrome on Android is great. Chrome on an iPhone is crap.
    IMO.

3. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Over in the Mac forums, the consensus seems to be that Safari is superior to Chrome because Chrome is a memory hog.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

5. soft-touch macrumors member

soft-touch

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Down to preference.

The latest update to Chrome is nice.

I no longer get Tab refreshing using Chrome.

7. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

I tried an hour on here using chrome and the next hour using safari and the battery consumption was noticeably bigger on chrome.

1 hour using Safari used 16%
    1 hour using chrome used 22%

8. saudor macrumors 6502

The battery drainage isn't linear though. I.e it takes a longer time to drain from 100 to 99

9. Rodster macrumors 68040

It's supposed to be right? Except that hasn't been my experience using Safari on my iPad's.

10. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

Yeah I know that but when I started it the battery was at 70% and not at 100% for that reason.

Also I forgot to say that the test was done on my iPad Air 2

11. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

I wouldn't go that far, I had the Galaxy S6 for a few days and Chrome was slow as F! The problem is that JavaScript is just plain slow on Chrome, navigating certain sites was just horribly slow and laggy.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

13. Shelbyz macrumors newbie

Dunno about S6, but I do have an S5 near my iPhone5 and I have no problems with Chrome. It was working just great.
    Anyway, back on topic; Had no reason to try Chrome on my i5 since I like Safari a lot more, but I'm pretty sure it won't work better.

14. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I used Chrome for a while when Safari had the irritating spinning data wheel pre-iOS8.3
    It used to crash a lot and I didn't like the fact there is no swipe back/forwards and that the back button is at the top left of the screen. Too high up on a 6+ for frustration-free browsing.
    There has since been an update so I don't know if it still frequently crashes, but Safari is a nicer experience on the iPhone for me. I do use Chrome on my Android tablet and it's a good browser on that platform.

15. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

I much prefer the scrolling in chrome. It's too inertial in Safari. Not a problem if you want to slowly read from the top, but tedious beyond belief if you need to quickly whizz through a page.

16. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

not sure why it was slow for you, but on all of my Android devices, it is on par with Safari running on my Apple devices.

but now with Chrome Developer version out for mobile!!! :eek: Safari and regular Chrome seem like they are running at dialup speeds. And the new experimental reader view is phenominal at scaling news stories perfectly to your phone. i wish Apple would allow Chrome to run natively on ios, instead of the hamstrung, skinned version that we are forced to use.

17. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I must have missed this !

Can you link to more information please ?

18. cynics macrumors G3

I still continue to use Safari on iOS. It is works fine for me, however I'm not saying its better. Since links tend to open Safari anyway I prefer the consistency of constantly using it.

I use it on OS X as well but I keep Chrome on standby since Safari leaves a bit to be desired on a desktop.

19. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Go to the Play Store and download Chrome Dev

20. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

Safari on iOS, Chrome on OS X. They work together with Handoff, which is a big plus (Mac -> iPhone opens in Safari, iPhone -> Mac opens in Chrome). I find Chrome on iOS to be too clunky, and Safari to be too limited on OS X.

21. noshooz macrumors member

noshooz

I prefer Safari but will sometimes revert to using Chrome when, despite having requested the desktop version of a site in Safari, it still reloads the mobile site.

22. cynics macrumors G3

I notice this too. Drives me nuts.

23. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

That's because the sites base their mobile version on screen density/resolution. Open a site like The Verge on a laptop and make the browser smaller. It will eventually look like the mobile version at a certain size (and yes I absolutely hate this as well).

24. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi

Can you define "Looks heavier"

25. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

The new update to Chrome added swipe navigation on the main portion of the screen and swipe tab navigation on the address bar. Anyone here using Chrome as their daily browser? Also, what are the main advantage of using the native browser? By advantage, I mean something in the lines of how the native mail app will ask you if you want to add a person to the address book.